PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter woes

El Rey
01-23-2009, 18:08
Ok there was a torque converter bolted to the back of my 82 6.2 and I took it off to put on a 700R4 that I just bought. Not sure the year of the transmission but the dogone torque converter will not not slide into the trans. Is there any problem with getting these diesel torque converters into the transmissions? Thanks in advance for any input.

arveetek
01-24-2009, 09:14
If the Torque converter you had with your 6.2L was from a TH400 instead of a 700R4, it will not fit. Also, the earlier 700R4 TC's had 27 splines on the input shaft, while the later models had 30 splines.

My guess is that you have a 27 spline TC and a 30 spline 700R4.

Casey

El Rey
01-27-2009, 09:11
After posting this I did a little research into the 700R4's and you are correct. The spline count does not match. Guess I got to get a new one.

El Rey
01-27-2009, 09:22
Where is a good dealer to get these torque converters? having trouble finding a good source online? Thanks again

arveetek
01-27-2009, 11:36
You can find rebuilt torque converters at your local auto supply stores, but they're not worth much. I used one and it lasted only a few months before the lockup clutch facings wore out. Recently, I had Phoenix Transmissions build me a customer TC, and it's working great.

Here's a thread with all the details:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2789836#post2789836

Casey

john8662
01-27-2009, 16:58
I like the converter I had built, also a 1250 stall. The factory is around 1500.

www.artcarr.com (http://www.artcarr.com) builds them in-house, just another option.

I also fought the 3lug verses 6lug problem, the 3lug is the only thing availble for HD use, the 6lug version uses 6 smaller lugs that frequently come unattached from the front housing of the converter. Every converter builder only starts with the factory front housing, so they technically only have two options, 3 or 6, and the 3lug version uses some very rigid mounts, the 6 is the old technology. GM never updated the front cover to incorporate 6 of the same lugs used on the 3lug version, and the front cover cannot easily be modified to accept them because of a requirement to then resurface the internal clutch plate inside, which has a slim thickness range that it can be used. So, taking more off would make it weaker anyways...

Good story above in the link Casey posted, just uncredible forum with some pretty sucky people.

J

Petescraft
02-11-2009, 14:25
Hi everyone,

First time poster. I currently have a gas 350 connected to an '89 700r4. I understand that I need to find a diesel torque converter if I want to put a 6.2 in my truck. My question is, will an '85 6-bolt converter mate to both the later model tranny and an '83 6.2?

Thanks all - Pete

DmaxMaverick
02-11-2009, 16:43
Hi everyone,

First time poster. I currently have a gas 350 connected to an '89 700r4. I understand that I need to find a diesel torque converter if I want to put a 6.2 in my truck. My question is, will an '85 6-bolt converter mate to both the later model tranny and an '83 6.2?

Thanks all - Pete

Welcome aboard!

The converter will fit fine if the spline count is the same (count them, 27 or 30, IIRC). You will also need the Diesel governor for the 700R4 to get your shifts right. Not expensive, and easy to replace. Pick one up at your favorite tranny shop, and they can even tell you how to replace it.

Robyn
02-11-2009, 16:48
Welcome to TDP

YES to both questions.

The 700R4 is pretty much universal
You need to use the governor from the diesel trans to get the shifts right where they need to be though.

The converter will go right on and go to work.

Just be sure that the converter is spun onto the shaft and the stator support and that it goes in all the way.

Have Fun

Robyn