PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler line blew off block

andyvillen
01-25-2009, 15:06
Has this happened to any one else on here?

If your looking from the back of the motor it the line that is closer to the front of the motor. I tried to take the first line off the get a better look at why it mite have poped off but i cant even get it off.

Does any one have a picture of the connection or can explain it.

From what i can see it looks to be alot like a window crank C clip set up.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-25-2009, 22:19
Ya, it's basically a C-Clip that slides in to hold it in place. Can be a junky setup. I actually had mine seperate on one. I am not sure if there is any other way to hook stuff up.

Robyn
01-26-2009, 07:59
The E ring snaps into a groove in the fitting on the block.
The fitting has a built in O ring to do the sealing.

The lines have a round portion that fits into the O ring area and then a little farther out is a tapered area that slides into the fitting and spings the E ring allowing the hose assembly to slide all the way in.

The E ring snaps in behind the tapered part of the hose end fitting, locking it in place.

Most times a failure is due to improper installation of the E ring when the lines have been removed and then replaced.

The E ring must be installed just right or it wont work properly and ulitmately may cause the line to blow off.

Now there are after market fittings and hose assemblies that will replace all this stuff with far better quality materials.

The block is tapped with a standard pipe thread and JIC fittings work quite well.

Stainless steel braided hose designed for oil at high temps is readily available too.

The big issue is that you need to mount a fresh oil cooler up front of the radiator to get the full benefit of the better lines.

The fittings that are on the original setup are a tad hinky and most replacements use JIC

Some of our fine vendors here at TDP offer "Kits" to do just what you desire.

Simply unhook and flush out the old cooler and then cap the fittings to keep things clean, should it be needed in the future. Install the new setup and you set with stuff that is pretty well bullet proof.

Note The easy way to get the line off is to hook the E ring with a tiny flat blade screw driver or and Oring pick and lift it out of the groove.
The center part of the ring (middle bar of the E) is the place to get ahold of, then simply slide the ring sideways out of the groove in the fitting.

You can simply unscrew the block fitting and then it will drop out with the hose where you can see it better.

best

Robyn

Robyn
01-26-2009, 08:22
Here is a picture of a Dorman replacement fitting.

The top red arrow shows the groove that the E ring sits in
The center arrow is pointing at the center dimple of the E
The other dimples that hold the line are out of view on the other side and can't be seen.

Some stuff like brake kleen sprayed around the area with the little nozzle will probably help make things easier to see.

As I mentioned before, you can unscrew the fitting from the block and get it down where you can get a good look at it. The fitting will simply turn on the hose end and do no damage.

Once out you will be able to remove the clip and separate the line and fitting.
You will also notice that the fitting has 3 little slots that the ring must sit in. If the ring is installed wrong a failure is likely.

The fitting is installed in the block with the ring in its groove. The line is simply lubed with a little grease and snapped into the fitting.

Trying to install the E ring after the line is in is not advisable.
The design was meant to speed up assembly on the line.

Reusing old fittings is not advisable either as the Oring takes a set and once moved can leak.

If the fitting is fairly new, the E ring can be reinstalled in the groove and the fitting replaced in the block using a suitable sealer on the threads and the line snapped back in.

Best

Robyn

andyvillen
01-26-2009, 13:56
from what i can see now the eclip is gone, im not sure if it flew of or wasnt there for a while,

when i got the truck the line seemed a bit loose, I never thought any thing of it becasue it wasnt leaking.

But im going to go to GM to see if they have one in stock, other wise i will have to order the Doorman one.

Do you have a door man part #

Robyn
01-26-2009, 15:02
The Ma General store should have one

andyvillen
01-26-2009, 16:06
lol im not to sure what the Ma general store is, but i found one at parts source.

The Gm guy didnt even know what i was taking about.

thanks for the help

Robyn
01-26-2009, 16:29
Chevy or GMC dealer "Ma General" :D:):D

RC

It's the same stuff. Now dont mess with the clip just screw the thing into the block and then lube the fitting and stuff the hose fitting in and it goes CLICK, All done

andyvillen
01-30-2009, 16:12
So i finally got the fitting out, I had to find a 1 7/16 inch socket to take the oil filter elbow off. then the fitting came right out. looks like the spring has sprung. there is 3 little nicks out of the groove on the oil line, Im kinda worried it mite fall off again...

Can i just put pipe plugs in there for the winter? or does it need to go threw the cooler? then come summer i'll fix it properly with real fittings and hose.

Robyn
01-30-2009, 17:45
The oil flows through the cooler and to the engine.
FIX IT :)

RC

andyvillen
01-31-2009, 13:38
ok got it all fixed, what a job out in the cold, Not service friendly at all.