PDA

View Full Version : performance chip

kyle41005
01-25-2009, 21:18
so one of the cool things about newer diesels is that you can hook up a controller and go from great gas mileage to crazy torque and back with the touch of a button. my question is is there anyway to do that with something like a 94 6.5? all i ever see is chips that replace them.

now a more off the wall question... i wonder if this would work... get an extra computer, put a performance chip in it and leave your stock computer stock. then tap the perf comp into all the inputs/outputs in your harness, hook up the computer ground, and run both computers power wires thru a relay, normally closed would be stock, then hit a button and it would run off the perf comp.. what do ya think?

Robyn
01-25-2009, 21:37
I will share a secret. ;)

Install a good chip from one of the folks that advertise here. (Heath, Kennedy)

I have a killer chip in my 95 Dahooley and the sucker will smoke the duals and roar like a bansheeeee.

Cool thing is that all ya gotta do to get great mileage is to lighten up on the skinny pedal a little bit and the numbers are impressive.

I can get 22 Hwy easily with the 1 ton Dually 4x4 and if I want to get nuts it will do that too.
Best part is that I dont have to mess with wiring and boxes and all that stuff.
Just drive it and enjoy. :D:D

best

Robyn

DennisG01
01-26-2009, 06:24
Not sure about the OBDI's, but on the OBII's you usually have to do a security learn when you swap ECM's. Takes about 15 minutes.

However, as Robyn said - you won't miss anything at all with a performance chip. You should get better mileage (or at least the same) and better/more efficient power.

Robyn
01-26-2009, 07:13
The trick stuff thats available for the Dodge Cummins, Ford Stroke and the GM Dmax is a lot different.

These engine have a much different fuel system and if clouds of smoke is what you want it can happen along with almost rediculous amounts of gut wrenching, tire burning, parts breaking power.

The only real difference between the OBD1 and OBD2 systems on the 6.5 is the electronics on the OBD2 is a little more elaborate and the programing is in the ECM and not easily swapped via an external chip.

The IP and injectors are the same little critters.

The addition of a chip, good exhaust and possibly an aftercooler (for sustained boost over 12 PSI) is about all that you can really do to an electronic 6.5

A mechanically injected engine (DB2) can be messed with a bit more in that a higher output pump (DB4) can be used with some mods to get power levels WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY into the stratosphere.

Only issue is that the cooling system in a truck chassis can't deal with it and the first stop is "Meltville" or if you prefer "Crispyburg"

As I said before the replacement chips will give as much useable power as you can get (safely) and good mileage too if you drive it with mileage in mind.

Jack rabbit starts with the turbo screaming and the tires protesting along with a thick black FOG pouring from the 5 inch tail pipe wont get it though
:D:D

As much as I love my 6.2/6.5 engines, they are not going to rip the wheels off a well setup DMax or Stroke.

You can make them a bit nervous if they are in stock trim but they will getcha.

I have ate a few of the older strokes in the stop light Grand Prix but more
of it was due to technique rather than brute power.

The older strokes were a little slow off the line unless you power braked them to get the turbo rolling before you mashed them hard.

This little trick enables a fast spooling engine to get up on the step quickly and get with the program.

The unsuspecting dude with the old stroke is sitting around waiting for his moose mill to come alive while you are a bookin it. :)

Any more I just smile at the kids and their toys when they hint at the idea of a little sprint. I just roll the duals a little bit and then hope that they decide that maybe picking on the old GMC is not such a great idea. :eek:

Many a suggested sprint has ended with the instigator backing down after a quick flexing of the rear tires.

However, as much as I love a good sparring, the consequences can be rather dire and as a professional driver, the last thing I need is to explain this sort of horseplay to the law. :(

Have fun

Robyn

JohnC
01-26-2009, 10:41
I expect you'd have to switch a lot more than just the power line. The PCM is very sensitive to electrical loads on its lines.

Get a chip that is as much perfomance as you'd ever want and a set of wooden blocks to put under the accelerator for your economy settings... ;)