PDA

View Full Version : Lock-in-Park Remote Start

MacDR50
01-26-2009, 06:30
The lock-in-park feature of the remote start is standard to many remote start systems. My truck has it. Once you insert the key and turn to the run position it unlocks the shift and away you go. Today that did not happen. I had to shut the engine off and restart. It was a damp day yesterday and then the temperature dropped to -15C. I suspect this affected the solenoid that engages the lock. Hopefully this is not a sign of future issues. Anyone else have this type of problem?

JohnC
01-26-2009, 11:24
Maybe a dumb question, but did you have your foot on the brake?

MacDR50
01-26-2009, 13:30
Not a dumb question. I can't swear to it this time but I never put a vehicle in drive or reverse without putting my foot on the brake. It is one of those automatic actions that you do without thinking. You do raise a new possibility. The brake activation unlocks the gear shift and if that malfunctioned then it would also explain what happened. Remember the good old days when you could take a flashlight and check out these things yourself? A loose switch, a broken link or spring or a corroded wire but not an errant electron or some line of computer code.

Runaway_Dmax
01-26-2009, 20:44
Just a thought, but did you have the reflash done for the remote start issue. May have been part of your problem.

MacDR50
01-27-2009, 13:13
No reflash for remote start. I tried to duplicate the problem this morning (-20C overnight) but it worked like a charm. I am not overly concerned. Next time I am near a shop with a code reader I would intersted to see if one showed up.

MacDR50
02-19-2009, 13:37
It seems that the Ally tranny hates to be parked on even the slightest hill. I have duplicated the problem at least 3 times by parking on a slight rise. The last time on less than 8 inches of snow built up by a curb. What I took to be a gearshift lock-up was actually resistance to come out of park due to the pressure on the parking pin (pall). I have never driven anything that is this unforgiving. I guess it is back to my manual tranny days of setting the parking brake before taking it out of gear.