PDA

View Full Version : Fuel return question

BigGun J
01-26-2009, 16:56
I have searched and think I know the answer? I installed an electric fuel pump to purge my system. The pump should be able to draw fuel from the tank, through the filters, through the mechanical pump, through the IP and back to the tank with no power to the IP or the motor running. Correct? I have a 6.2. I have the large early filter inline before the electric pump and mechanical pump. I installed a 6.5TD intake so I have that filter after the electric and mechanical pump and before the IP as it would be on th 6.5TD.

If the above is correct I have a block between the last filter and the IP? I purged the system with the electric pump until I had fuel at the last filter. Had removed the glow plugs to purge the injector lines and after about the third turn of the starter I think I blew a hose off that last filter. Heard a big splash and fuel all over the top of the motor. That was late last night so I am leaving work to go see what is up. just want to make sure I can run the electric pump without the IP powered. If I can I have a suspect return line pressure problem.

Thanks, Jim

DmaxMaverick
01-26-2009, 17:14
If the ignition is off, or you don't have power supplied to the FSS (Fuel Stop Solenoid, in/on the pump), the fuel flow stops there (unless you have a leak). You can bypass the IP, and connect the supply line with the IP return line. Otherwise, fuel won't flow through the IP (unless it's got serious problems of its own).

DmaxMaverick
01-26-2009, 17:18
Also, if you remove the fuel return line at the top of the IP, it should be clear to the tank.

BigGun J
01-26-2009, 21:00
Thanks. I thought fuel would flow through. I even went to the effort and installed a hidden switch in series on the FSS so the truck would turn over but not start. I see now that is a bad plan. It got to late to go out to the garage. So close but still so far away.

1985 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60, 6.2, 700R4. So close to the end of the transplant.
1993 X-Cab 2500 6.5TD, 4L80E.

john8662
01-27-2009, 16:44
An electric lift pump for priming should be installed between the tank and the first fuel filter, not after!

J

BigGun J
01-27-2009, 22:11
I believe I resolved the back pressure issue. I had capped one of the original lines that connected to the gas motors charcole filter and that is the vent. As for the filter before the electric fuel pump. It is the early style canister filter. I removed the vent on the top and capped it. I filled the filter before install and the electric pump had no problem pumping/pulling (until the back pressure issue) I hope I only blew the drain line off the final filter (the 6.5 intake filter lines are a bugger to work with when the motor in in the vehical)
Hopefully I will have time to get after it tomorrow after work. I like my truck but miss driving my cruiser. And defentially when there is snow on the ground. Hopefully I will get it running this wekend.

Jim

BigGun J
01-31-2009, 21:06
Got it started and it sounds good! WOW, finally! Some little stuff to do, then off to the muffler shop. I will put togeather a thred fot the swap section.

Thanks for all the help. Jim