PDA

View Full Version : Needed - Air bleeder plastic plug for Stanadyne Model 80 fuel filter base

Subzilla
01-26-2009, 18:53
I got a little forceful tightening this plug and half busted it. I understand the dealer to be asking $30 for this little thing! Anyone have a spare one?

lmholmes11
01-26-2009, 20:20
search online and you can get a replacement metal fuel filter housing bleed screw. Well worth it! I know this isnt an immediate fix like you need it to be, but just for future reference.

DennisG01
01-27-2009, 07:17
I've got to admit, I've never really looked that close at the bleeder screw, so I'm just taking a shot here. Would the right sized bolt and a rubber washer work? At least temporarily.

lmholmes11
01-27-2009, 13:45
I suppose it would, as long as it is air tight. If it's not then the whole fuel system will not work properly. I have never tried using a regular screw with a washer. If you can drive something else until you order a new one I would suggest that. DmaxMavrick recommended the metal screw instead of the plastic one that is OEM, and it is well worth it.

www.kennedydiesel.com

DmaxMaverick
01-27-2009, 15:36
I suppose it would, as long as it is air tight. If it's not then the whole fuel system will not work properly. I have never tried using a regular screw with a washer. If you can drive something else until you order a new one I would suggest that. DmaxMavrick recommended the metal screw instead of the plastic one that is OEM, and it is well worth it.

www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)

The metal screw recommendation was for the Duramax filter assy. The Stanadyne M80 is different, and the fuel system on the 6.2/6.5's is pressurized.

If a person were to locate a bolt with the correct threads, there's no reason it can't be sealed with an O-ring. The plastic screw is sealed with an O-ring.

Subzilla
01-27-2009, 20:20
I suppose the screw with o-ring would seal the top but would that keep it from coming out the bleeder hole on the side of the mount? This plastic screw extends down an inch or so and has a rubber piece on the end. I was assuming the rubber piece had something to do with sealing the bleeder hole.

I did a search for metal replacement screw and came up with nothing. Any links?

DmaxMaverick
01-27-2009, 20:52
I suppose the screw with o-ring would seal the top but would that keep it from coming out the bleeder hole on the side of the mount? This plastic screw extends down an inch or so and has a rubber piece on the end. I was assuming the rubber piece had something to do with sealing the bleeder hole.

I did a search for metal replacement screw and came up with nothing. Any links?

You're right. It has a pintle type seal. If you can't find the right screw, you could plug the bleeder nipple with a vacuum cap (carburetor thing) and a clamp, if needed.