PDA

View Full Version : need some help-first time posting

craigars
01-28-2009, 07:57
good morning

I have a 2002 duramax/allison 2500 hd crew cab with a 148k miles on the truck. the SES light came on 01/11/09 also the change oil light which was on a sunday. I preceded to to drain the oil in my 14 qt bucket as i always do and walked away from it while it was draining. when i came back the bucket was full and there was oil all over the ground and there was a strong odor of fuel so i am assuming my injectors are leaking. I finish changing the oil and cleane up this mess that it made all over the garage and call the dealer and have an appointment on 01/17/09. i drop it off in the morning and they call me that night and say that it is the injectors and that they will be replaced under warranty and that it will be ready on 01/18/09. the code that was thrown was P1093. the dealer called the next morning and said that the glow plugs are going to be replaced under a different warranty as well, that code was P0380. but it wont be ready until 01/22/09 and i can pick it up on 01/23/09
I picked up my truck on the 01/23/09 and they tell me that i need a fuel filter and oil change and that they can do it while i wait for 238.00 they say that that is not included in the warranty. In my opinion ththat should have been changed while they had everything ripped apart and after arguing with them and getting know where. i said i will cahange it my self, i live 6 miles from the dealer and i have filters an oil at home. I get home and change all the filters and take it for a test drive and it runs great for the first 20 miles then the SES light came back on. now i am mad so i call the dealer and they say that i can bring it in and they will scan it again.
this time they find a code P0700 tcm, that was stored and they diagnossed and inspected and found no problems. they cleared it and test drove and said that everything was ok. it was off for 1 day.
now it seems to come on after driving for a few miles and stays on, when i start it up in the morning it is off, but, 5 miles down the road it will come back on.
i have never changed the transmission fluid just the spin-on filter and I have changed that at every 30k miles.
any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
craig

Mark Rinker
01-28-2009, 08:21
Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the detailed information - sounds like you are doing okay so far. Don't get mad at the dealership...they just saved you about $3000!

Also, its really good to have a willing service manager to work with on warrany exceptions, say if you run into another injector issue at 201K miles...

Your transmission fluid should be addressed immediately. Search here for information on a complete tranny flush, or find a qualified Allison transmission shop, or your local GM dealer to do the work. I would not recommend having this procedure done at a 'Quick-Lube' sort of place...many use machines designed for conventional GM, Ford, Chrysler automotive transmissions that are not designed for the volume and line pressures of the Allison 1000.

You really need to get that fluid out of that transmission ASAP.

As for the TCM code, I'll let others with more knowledge chime in on their thoughts. Are you running any power adders? Please take time to fill in your signature with detailed truck info, like mine below...

craigars
01-29-2009, 07:38
Mark

My truck is completely stock and it does not go into limp mode.
with a 148k miles on it do you think there woukd be a problem switching
over to transynd? I have looked at the procedure for pumping out the old
fliud and it looks simple enough. I am planning on doing it this weekend.
maybe that will turn of the SES light.

madmatt
01-29-2009, 11:42
p0700 is just a general TCM failure code thats just saying there was a transmission issue somewhere and tells the ecm to turn on the MIL. It's usually one of two or three codes stored. Without other codes there is not much to go on. Change the trans fluid, beat on it and see what happens.

craigars
01-31-2009, 14:06
Goodmorning

Ok, I changed the transmission fluid today. It was a burgundy color and some what traslucent with out a strong burnt smell to it. the magnent had a slight gray residue on the surface almost like a paste. I used dextron III, a little over 7 1/2 quarts to refill. i disconected the battery while i was changing the fluid in hopes that it would re-set the SES light that was on. I hooked up the batteries and fired it up and the light was off. took it for a spin and everything seamed to be ok. after about 20 miles and one restart the light came back on. the temp on the dash runs from 0 to 150 degrees which is the same as it always has. it seems to run ok with-out any slippage of the trans from what i can tell. i mashed the pedal to the floor up to max speed with out any problems with tow-haul mode on and with out

I know that it should be pluged into a code reader, but the dealer wants 136.50 to scan it. is there another way of getting the codes off the TCM ? or maybe somewhere else other then a dealer that can retrieve codes.
when they replaced the injectors that code was not there. only after i picked it up. could it be possible that when they did the repairs that maybe they forgot to plug something in or maybe plugged it in in-correctley or knocked something loose.

TheJDMan
01-31-2009, 17:42
I haven't tried it but I am told that you can go to any Auto Zone and they will scan and clear codes for no charge.

madmatt
01-31-2009, 18:52
$136??? holy hell! Throw me a few bucks and I'll walk out in the parking lot and read it w/o even opening an RO.

pitstop190
01-31-2009, 19:10
You could buy a hand held code reader with the ability to clear for 136. A lot of parts houses will read the codes and clear for you, especially if it makes you buy something:)

craigars
02-01-2009, 15:09
I went to auto zone today and they no longer scan customers vehicle for codes. It seems that the auto repair shops and dealers got on them about doing the service for free and customers doing there own repair work. atleast that is what i was told by the store manager and being in california i can believe it.
Does anyone know if i can purchase software at a reasonable price that i can use my laptop to view codes?
I guess i will just see what happens. it only seems to come on after the truck is driven for a little while. so maybe it is a stored code and it will reset after 50 start cycles.

DickWells
02-01-2009, 19:37
My Hypertek programmer will check and clear codes. That's all I use it for, because I don't piggy-back it with my Juice. If there's someone near you with a Hypertek, (or similar) programmer, they could do it for you. Perhaps, if you have time, you could find one on E-Bay for cheap. They're transferable from vehicle to vehicle, but you can't use them on two at the same time. Have to go to stock programing before you hook up to another. Has to be for a specific model, too. IE, LB7-LMM, etc.
Hope you can resolve your issues soon.
DW:)

Shed
02-02-2009, 11:45
As far as checking and clearing codes go, they do make universal readers that work. I bought one, I believe at harbor freight, for $40. It gives you the VIN, gets codes, and clears codes, very simple piece of equipment. I carry mine with me in the tool box. Check some of the major discount tool stores, just make sure it says it will read your year truck....
Shed

pitstop190
02-02-2009, 21:17
As far as the parts guys doing scans, its best for the customer if they don't do them, because they scan and tell the customer what the code is and sell a bunch of parts that most of the time don't need replacing. My point is, they shouldn't give advice without doing the necessary research, most good diagnostic jobs require more tests after the scan to determine what the real cause is. There is no way they can do all that for free. nothing against the parts guys, but its best for the customer to find a good tech to diagnose.;)

leolkfrm
02-06-2009, 04:54
ask around, Maybe a local garage with a mac or snap-on will do it cheaper!
The oil change seems pricey too, the dealer here will LOF my 03 for $65, and I think they said $60 more for the fuel filter

Horse_gal_jen
02-06-2009, 09:19
I bought a code reader at Canadian Tire here for 100$ it's and OBDII code reader and works well on our truck as well as many other makes and models. We've got a lot of use out of it. If I have issues I generally scan the codes and call our dealership, they are pretty good to give me some ideas about where to look next or what to check. It helps to have me narrow down the issue first or look or watch for certain things. Then when I do take it in to get fixed it saves me some $ on diagnosis time.

craigars
02-07-2009, 18:23
I was looking at some code readers at kragens today and they have them for 129.99 which i guess is not a bad price and i can get 10% off. i have a brother inlaw that says he can read them for me with his laptop and some software that he has. not sure of what program he has or who makes it. but i am going to take a trip on sunday to see if it works and go from there.
the strange thing is that when it went in for the injectors the transmission temp gauge wood only move 2 hash marks after it warmed up and now it runs up to 150 degrees and basically runs just as hot as the motor and has never done that before, even in the 100 degree heat of sacramento with the AC on it never got that hot. this is making me think that maybe the dealer put it back together wrong? don't really know until I can scan for codes. hopefully on sunday i can get some answers.

pitstop190
02-11-2009, 19:01
Craig, i'd be careful if you are getting higher than normal trans temps. Also, I like the info on the harley, turns pretty good looks like!