PDA

View Full Version : Remove Intake to add remote PMD?

David_Jennings
01-31-2009, 08:32
I am sure this has been answered, but I failed to find it in a search. Must I remove the intake if all I plan to do is add an extension harness, a new pmd, and a cooler? (I plan to put it inside the bumper.) I reviewed the replacement process for a pmd, and it requires quite a bit of work, some of it scary, to replace a small part that should be readily accessible. Is there a way to simply unplug the pmd and plug in the new harness without the wrenching?

Thank you in advance for any responses. It's good to be back, but you can infer from the thread why I renewed my lapsed membership.

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2009, 09:07
Not required. Just take your time. Even if you drop the resistor into the valley, just get another one. They aren't cheap (less than $20), but it isn't worth the hassle. Having some "special" tools helps. I use a looooong/angled needle nose pliers and a long screwdriver. It isn't too bad. Done it dozens of times.

82 dieselburb
01-31-2009, 16:57
Another tip I did was to lay a rag under under the plug on the harness so if you drop the new resistor it won't go far and is easy to retrieve.Easy to do good luck.

David_Jennings
02-01-2009, 16:01
I took a close look and it is pretty tight in there. It looks as though the plug is on the firewall-side of the pmd (not the top or front where it might be accessible). I might be able to unplug it, but plugging in the extension harness will be impossible unless there is some play on the plug. I think disregarding recovery of the resistor is good advice.

Zac6.5
02-01-2009, 16:28
I just got a new resistor when I did mine. The plug gives you just enough play to get the harness plugged in. I used a small screwdriver to unclip the plug. I wish there was an easier way to get the other PMD off the IP to put in the glove box as a backup.

DmaxMaverick
02-01-2009, 17:14
The PMD can be removed w/o IP removal. It isn't as easy as it looks, but can be done.

wfyehl
02-02-2009, 08:49
Even if you drop the resistor into the valley, just get another one.

I was told by a friend that you could use a Shop-Vac to retrieve any items dropped into the valley. He told me after I removed the intake to retrieve the resistor.

DmaxMaverick
02-02-2009, 10:24
I was told by a friend that you could use a Shop-Vac to retrieve any items dropped into the valley. He told me after I removed the intake to retrieve the resistor.

Whatever works. I'm not so lucky. If it falls in the valley, it's never to be seen again, let alone retrievable (doesn't apply to just resistors). Placing a rag or other "catcher" under it is a good idea. Sometimes I get lucky, but it's the exception, not the rule. I might have a chance if I dropped something like a floor jack in there, but forget it otherwise. Murphy is my shadow.

surfbeetle
03-01-2009, 00:26
I hear ya on that one, I lost a 15mm socket in the valley when I changed both T-stats. As for the PMD, a long needle nose and long skinny screwdriver will do the trick. I used the Pensacola Diesel kit with the aftermarket PMD made by Dtech. So far it has worked fine.

Rob4
03-01-2009, 17:46
Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I added a PMD cooler to my 94, I just unpluged the harness from the old cooler and connected the harness to the new PMD. I did use a new resister for the new PMD. Leave the old PMD in place on the pump and use it as a spare. No need to remove it.

surfbeetle
03-01-2009, 22:35
No, you didn't miss anything. That's exactly what I did on mine. It's just a pain in the butt to unplug.