PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you Dmax guys from a 6.5 owner

Beedee
02-01-2009, 11:38
So the time has come for me to upgrade. The 98 has been and still is a great truck, but I want more (LOL):D
I checked out a new 08 in Dec but still way too much money for me.:eek: I have talked with a friend in the know and he says that the late 04's get the best mileage.
I'm pulling about 6K when I tow so don't need the huge horse power of the new ones.
I'm leaning to the 05 to 07 range.
So my questions are:confused:
What should I be looking for in these models
Do you know of any unresolved issues
If you had one of these models and upgraded to a newer one, what did you notice the most, what did you miss from the older one
What about the 5 or 6 speed Allison, any difference there that would change your mind
Any thing else that you could think ofAny and all information will be appreciated so thanks to all in advance

Brian

DickWells
02-01-2009, 19:52
From what I've read, the so-called 07 Classic would be the way to go if you could swing it. Six speed Allison and full-blown power, with no DPF to burn off. I hear that they're sought after, though. Probably command a high price if you can find one.
I love my 04 LB7. Had the injectors replaced at 76K miles. Didn't cost a penny. Seems like I've read that the 06's , which would include the Classic (pre DPF) are the best bet for having the least issues, but don't take my word for it.
Good luck.
DW:)

Shed
02-02-2009, 11:41
I myself have an 01' which is an awesome truck. It has had some minor issues, but the big one would be the injectors. This seems more common in the 01-03 trucks.

The 04-05' years I have heard of some running hot issues while towing due to smaller radiators and intercoolers.

Someday I will upgrade to an 06' with the 6 spd ally, tons of horsepower, the big camper mirrors, and "fewer problems". But for now my low mileage 01' is still tearing down the road with my 30' 5'er in tow.

Advice: Listen to these people, this is the best website, and has the most helpful and knowledgeable people.

Good luck!
Shed