PDA

View Full Version : The low down on injectors????

Shed
02-02-2009, 11:58
Just talked to a friend of mine who has a similar 01' to mine. He had all the classic injector failure symptoms. Took it in and sure enough he had 3 injectors out of balance and leaking? He about died when he heard the price tag for the repair, and that was only for the 3, not a full 8. He has found an aftermarket injector that is less expensive and claims it will not have the same problem of the OEM injectors (wearing out early). There will still be a considerable replacement cost but he says these will last 150k without having to worry about them.

#1 Is there such an animal out there? I was under the impression that you don't have a choice, the design of this engine keeps the injectors failing. Along with dirty fuel of course.

#2 If there are such injectors out there why don't more people run them? And I'm not talking about some high horsepower injectors, just basic OEM power level injectors. Does anyone know a reputable, proven one?

#3 My truck had injectors at 65k, it now has 98k, am I looking for replacement in 30k? Afraid of being away from home and pulling the 5'er and suddenly need a $5k replacement.

#4 Will Chevy help out due to this trucks low mileage? (way under 200k).

Any help an advice is always appriciated! I love my truck, just wish I could put the injector thing out of my mind!
Shed

Rabbler
02-02-2009, 14:34
The Injectors are Bosch parts not GM.
I'm sure they are available form other sources then the dealer.

Are these aftermarket injectors new or just rebuilt Bosch cores from parts unknown.

The OEM injector has been improved and is more durable since 2001.

Any idea what they quoted him for repair at the dealer?

Shed
02-02-2009, 15:17
Rabbler, Want to say $4K for the dealer, but that was all 8, cant remember how much for the 3. My question about the "updates" from bosch is why do they still fail. I hear of guys on here that have numerous sets of injectors. I understand these guys are putting big miles on, but come on. My grandad got over 200k out of his injectors in a 6.2L. The injectors he purchased now are from some small company and they are new, not reman. jobs.
Shed

madmatt
02-02-2009, 17:11
Just talked to a friend of mine who has a similar 01' to mine. He had all the classic injector failure symptoms. Took it in and sure enough he had 3 injectors out of balance and leaking? He about died when he heard the price tag for the repair, and that was only for the 3, not a full 8. He has found an aftermarket injector that is less expensive and claims it will not have the same problem of the OEM injectors (wearing out early). There will still be a considerable replacement cost but he says these will last 150k without having to worry about them.

#1 Is there such an animal out there? I was under the impression that you don't have a choice, the design of this engine keeps the injectors failing. Along with dirty fuel of course.

#2 If there are such injectors out there why don't more people run them? And I'm not talking about some high horsepower injectors, just basic OEM power level injectors. Does anyone know a reputable, proven one?

#3 My truck had injectors at 65k, it now has 98k, am I looking for replacement in 30k? Afraid of being away from home and pulling the 5'er and suddenly need a $5k replacement.

#4 Will Chevy help out due to this trucks low mileage? (way under 200k).

Any help an advice is always appriciated! I love my truck, just wish I could put the injector thing out of my mind!
Shed

GM is willing to help,, it just depends on if the dealer wants to offer it. I just put a set in under SP on a 78K mile 01 that was out by 4 months and a 02 that was out by 2 months w/ 193K on the clock. The latest and greatest p/n seem to be doing well and as far as I know if they're new, they're Bosch.

pitstop190
02-02-2009, 21:02
I'm looking at a box from GM, with an injector, on the box it says, "Reman DMAX injector, Made In Germany". I also bought a set from our diesel injection supplier and they were all new Bosch. Both were the same price. What is the reason for the failures? Has anyone really got an answer?:rolleyes::confused:

madmatt
02-03-2009, 18:06
From what i understand it was poor machining tolerances.