PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Duramax Cooling System Pressurized

TomJ01
02-03-2009, 12:39
I have a 2001 Duramax that has a pressurized coolant system. Pressure will force coolant out overflow of surge bottle. Have had to shop 6 times. Coolant analysis says coolant has no contamination. Mechanic at shop verified coolant as non-contaminated. Glow plug test, on cold engine, shows no misting. Truck has never overheated even in summer pulling 10,000 lb travel trailer. Having trouble with heater/defroster. Truck runs great most of time, no smoke, vapor,loss of power, leaks, etc.
Shop mechanic ruled out head gasket after tests and test drives. The best option offered for repair was injector sleeves, which have been done, ($1900) and both thermostats have been replaced ($330). Problem still exists. I think the shop may still say head gaskets are the issue. That repair will be $2400 if GM pays half or $4800 if GM will not as truck is out of warranty. Has anyone solved this problem?

madmatt
02-03-2009, 17:35
yep, headgaskets.

Mark Rinker
02-03-2009, 19:06
yep. Sold the truck. (The buyer was aware, and repaired it himself...)

The colder the operating weather, the more you'll see the pressurizing happen. When both thermostats close simultaneously and the engine is hot and at working RPMs, you really puke coolant...

2001s are the most likely to develop head gasket problems. There was an improvement to the gasket design in subsequent years.

TomJ01
02-03-2009, 20:13
Local shop and GM are proposing a complete teardown. They are saying cracked block or headgaskets. My problem with the coolant system goes back to 11/05 (45K miles) and has just recently become an almost daily issue. Two shop have previously replaced the coolant and evacuated the trapped air in the system. The truck now has 74K miles. I would like GM to help me out a little with repair expense but I am out of warranty.

JohnC
02-04-2009, 11:40
If you first complained about it while it was in warranty, and it was never fixed, they should cover it.

SDWA
02-09-2009, 15:49
Hmmm... sounds familiar!

Take a look at:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27906

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=28136

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=29305

Dealer first blamed the injector sleeves, then it ended up being the head gasket, after they swore they thoroughly tested it the first time, and it was "definitely not the head gaskets". Both jobs ended up costing me about $4800 total and I lost use of the truck for 11 weeks while they waited for parts.

They did the same head gasket tests; glow plug removal & mist check, coolant contamination (which never showed anything), dye testing, leakdown testing... All appeared normal or negative.

Oh yeah, don't expect GM to pay a dime if you're out of warranty. I asked too...

Scott

TomJ01
02-09-2009, 17:38
Sounds like the coolant system pressurization is a pretty common problem on early model years. To bad GM shops don't have a clue about how to help their customers. My trouble started after a coolant change was done at a GM shop at 59K miles. Coolant only pukes when starting up on cold mornings. I added a Banks package, at 70K miles. I know GM doesn't really like it but it has been the only method to see what is actually happening with the coolant temps. I have watched the coolant temp drop from 160 degrees down to 70 degrees after turning on the heater/defroster. The analog gauge on dash can't follow it at all. This was how I knew for sure the system was airlocked and would soon puke out coolant. Local shop is in process of complete teardown and say they are totally puzzled by truck's symptoms. I now have 75K miles on the truck.

madmatt
02-09-2009, 20:55
actually,, a lot of us do know how to take care of customers,, just seems like your unlucky enough to have found a shop that doesn't give a damn. I find ways to get **** covered all the time.

TomJ01
02-10-2009, 11:55
I will post the outcome of my mess when I get to the end. My biggest fear is that I will have problems, after the rebuild, that never existed before. Many times, in an attempt to fix one thing, other things mysteriously break. Some call it coincidence, but I think it is most often cause and effect.
:confused:

TomJ01
02-20-2009, 20:18
I signed a repair estimate for $3,000 on Feb. 5, 2009. I was told the repair job would take 4 days. The teardown turned up a bad head gasket. The teardown continued and the heads were sent to Las Vegas for testing, according to shop this was ordered by GM. The heads were in Vegas for 8 days and have just been returned. Now the shop says they don't have a gasket kit to do the rebuild. I still don't understand why these bad head gaskets cannot be detected? How hard is it to find the needed gaskets?

I am somewhat hopeful I will get the truck back sometime next week. How 4 days turned into 3 weeks I don't understand. There seems to be a million excuses why the repair isn't getting done. Rental car and a place to stay is very expensive when you are on the road with an R.V. I will post the final outcome if I ever get there.

madmatt
02-22-2009, 08:27
I know SoCal diesel and All Seasons (tony burkheads shop) has/did have the gasket kits in stock. Right now the gaskets are on national backorder.

jimboagogo
02-22-2009, 19:02
The gaskets I ordered just came in on Friday(2 weeks).When I first ordered them they told me "in stock in Woodstock you'll have them in the next morning".I said perfect.......They called later that day to tell me they were an old part number and couldn't sell them.So I guess(hope)these are the new and improved one's.So I'm thinking anyone out there that has any head gasket problem's and the GM dealer say's "never heard of it"or"your the first/only one" you know their full of it.

Mark Rinker
02-22-2009, 19:47
Sorry to hear of your issues. Based on your information, the gaskets should have been covered under warranty. I understand your options might have been limited, if on the road and away from your local dealership.

After this is over, you might appeal to GM for reimbursement for all or part of your (repair) expenses.

TomJ01
02-23-2009, 08:07
Does anyone have the part number for the new/improved head gaskets for my 2001 Duramax? After all the pains and expense of being stranded 1000 miles from home, for over a month, I want to verify I indeed get the new gaskets. Is there a Technical Service Bulletin out on this problem that the dealers should have access to? Thanks to evryone for the help!:o

jimboagogo
02-23-2009, 10:29
98045055 RH Grade A,98045056 RH Grade B,98045057 RH Grade C.
98045058 LH Grade A,98045059 LH Grade B,98045060 LH Grade C.
Hope this helps

TomJ01
02-23-2009, 16:51
Thanks for the part numbers. I will try to verify these against a repair order. Is a grade "A" superior to a grade "B" or "C", or how is that letter designation significant?

TomJ01
02-23-2009, 17:28
The dealership that has my truck torn down just called. The head gaskets are back-ordered, as a previous message writer indicated. The dealership said they had a set secured and were charged for them, but they had already sold, before they were shipped. Other dealer contacts seems to have the same result, "we had the gaskets but we have used them or sold them". No delivery time known at this point. I guess I am one, among many, having this rediculous problem. This time the shop verified that the part numbers for these head gaskets are new numbers. Hopefully, a much better gasket!

Mark Rinker
02-23-2009, 17:46
Certainly there is a set, sitting on the shelf in the aftermarket performance shops. They build engines every day!

Here is an example of the first site I found, after Googling "2001 Duramax Head Gaskets"...

http://www.hdiesel.com/product.asp?id=132

Wouldn't be the first time I walked into a GM dealer with parts in hand. In fact, I have source every set of injector lines for three LB7 sets replaced...GM wants over $1000 retail, some guy on Ebay regularly sells new takeoff sets for under $200...

Question - are you doing injector replacement, since the heads are off? Injector lines? Glowplugs?

Now is the time...

TomJ01
02-23-2009, 19:35
I am into this project for $5-$6,000 now with no known result. I know you are correct about doing this additional work while the engine is torn down. I just don't know how to estimate that much more work. To this point the GM shop has not suggested doing other replacements. There has to be a point of no return on investment for a 2001 Duramax. I have only 75K miles and the truck is in excellent condition inside and out. It is a great tow machine. I am retired and hoped this truck would last 20+ years as my previous GMC trucks have (all gassers). I have done thermostats and injector sleeves as part of this repair. How much more would you think I might be charged for the work you are suggesting, keeping in mind this is a GM shop, and our relationship is strained severly now? Might I be close in cost, to spending around $10,000, or so, for a new engine with a new warrantee? Your ideas, PLEASE!

jimboagogo
02-24-2009, 13:37
Wow Mark I checked out the site you posted.I feel violated by GM after checking out the prices on there.Thanks for the link I will be looking into buying some parts from them.

Rabbler
02-24-2009, 15:42
The gasket grades (A,B,C) refer to head gasket thickness.
The shop should measure how far each piston protrudes above the block deck.
This measurement determines which gasket to select. (very important!)

Mark Rinker
02-24-2009, 17:09
I am into this project for $5-$6,000 now with no known result. I know you are correct about doing this additional work while the engine is torn down. I just don't know how to estimate that much more work. To this point the GM shop has not suggested doing other replacements. There has to be a point of no return on investment for a 2001 Duramax. I have only 75K miles and the truck is in excellent condition inside and out. It is a great tow machine. I am retired and hoped this truck would last 20+ years as my previous GMC trucks have (all gassers). I have done thermostats and injector sleeves as part of this repair. How much more would you think I might be charged for the work you are suggesting, keeping in mind this is a GM shop, and our relationship is strained severly now? Might I be close in cost, to spending around $10,000, or so, for a new engine with a new warrantee? Your ideas, PLEASE!

Doing injectors uneccessarily would add alot of additional expense - parts alone could be over $1200. I realize you have spent alot more than planned, already. Thermostats and glow plugs are inexpensive. Personally, I'd have them replaced, since the engine is apart.

This was the dilemma I was faced with when my 2001 head gasket went. I sold it (at a greatly reduced price) rather than invest in the engine. I had many more miles on, however, like 185K if I remember correctly...

With the relatively low miles on your truck, you should be in good shape going forward. Hope you get ALOT of trouble free miles out of the truck, once this problem is repaired. :)

TomJ01
02-24-2009, 19:21
The local dealership called me today to tell me they cannot locate a set of head gaskets for my truck within the entire U.S. I e-mailed the site Mark sent me (www.hdiesel.com (http://www.hdiesel.com)) to see if they have a set on their shelves. If so, and I can order them myself, I will. The shop said they will install the "C" thickness of gasket in my truck if they can find some. I don't know how they determined this but I will ask. Some info I had seen made it sound like thicker was better as the Duramax design would accomodate all thicknesses well. I was told the dealer/shop will look to Canada to try to find the required head gaskets. Beware anyone else going thru this with an authorized GM shop.

TomJ01
02-26-2009, 08:53
I am just becoming aware of the class action lawsuits against GM and Dexcool. After reading some of the material I am beginning to wonder if it is possible that Duramax owners have been experiencing some similar issues. Cooling system problems, intake gaskets, and headgaskets seem to be reoccuring themes. Does anyone know if the problems with Dexcool only surface if you switch to Dexcool from other antifreeze? As you know, my 2001 Duramax specifies Dexcool and that is all that has ever been used. My coolant system trouble originated after a cooling system maintenance procedure that included Dexcool Flush.

Mark Rinker
02-26-2009, 09:31
(Non-scientific) Observations/opinions are are 2001s are by far the most likely to see head gasket problems, especially those that were chipped and/or towed heavy, increasing cylinder pressures and temperatures.

Never heard of any theory on DexCool as the culprit, or even as a contributor. As you know, gasket materials were changed/improved in subsequent years. I think that is your simple answer.

TomJ01
02-26-2009, 11:16
Thanks, Mark and I hope you are right. Since my cooling system problems all started immediately after a cooling system service/flush I am curious. If you search Dexcool lawsuits, you can read about a lot of GM products having gasket and cooling system trouble with Dexcool. Appearently if the coolant level gets low the problems get big. With my truck, I believe the air did not get evactuated after the service. I always topped off the reservoir if I got a low coolant warning, and took the truck back to the dealership for another coolant service. The problems just got worse over time. My issues sound a whole lot like the experience of other GM owners who are having engine gasket and cooling system troubles related to Dexcool.

madmatt
02-27-2009, 20:55
The torque spec used on your 01 was the culprit. There is an updated spec. As far as gasket thickness, there is marks on the back of the gasket that tells what thickness it is and can be replaced with. Using the thickest of the three does not hurt performance though and is what I use on all I replace.

TomJ01
02-28-2009, 00:45
Thanks Maddmatt. I have seen GM Document ID:2090627. It describes and shows the new head gaskets, gives instructions for preparing head surface, and gives new torque specs. for head bolts. I sent this Document number to the dealership hoping they will pay attention to it on a rebuild.

I am arguing with GM at this point about the charges. They claim they are doing a $6K job and only charging me half, $3000. The heads checked out good so all they are doing is tearing down ,replacing the gaskets, and putting the engine back in. My point is that an entire month on a 4 day job is unacceptable. I have been stranded with my RV, no rental car provided, and additional costs for our stay. No compensation at all for their incompetence. Our winter travel plans are toast. I have paid $2300 in repairs and gotten no results. I believe you don't tear down someone's rig, that is driveable, without having the parts available to fix it.

The shop says I get a 1 yr 12000 mi warranty. The estimate I signed has printed on it the Goodwrench policy: Lifetime warrantee on parts and labor. So how can they say they won't do that? I don't mind a fair price for good work but I feel we are being taken advantage of (price and time)because we are 1000 miles from home. What do you think?

madmatt
03-01-2009, 16:23
Thanks Maddmatt. I have seen GM Document ID:2090627. It describes and shows the new head gaskets, gives instructions for preparing head surface, and gives new torque specs. for head bolts. I sent this Document number to the dealership hoping they will pay attention to it on a rebuild.

I am arguing with GM at this point about the charges. They claim they are doing a $6K job and only charging me half, $3000. The heads checked out good so all they are doing is tearing down ,replacing the gaskets, and putting the engine back in. My point is that an entire month on a 4 day job is unacceptable. I have been stranded with my RV, no rental car provided, and additional costs for our stay. No compensation at all for their incompetence. Our winter travel plans are toast. I have paid $2300 in repairs and gotten no results. I believe you don't tear down someone's rig, that is driveable, without having the parts available to fix it.

The shop says I get a 1 yr 12000 mi warranty. The estimate I signed has printed on it the Goodwrench policy: Lifetime warrantee on parts and labor. So how can they say they won't do that? I don't mind a fair price for good work but I feel we are being taken advantage of (price and time)because we are 1000 miles from home. What do you think?

I think you should have broke down in Southern Indiana!!! I don't tear down most jobs till someone has put there hands on the parts and confirmed when they will be in my shop unless diag requires me to do otherwise. Even then it's not always a sure thing but 9/10 times it works out fine. I've never pulled an engine to do head gaskets only. I think the Lifetime warranty is on hard parts only (ie, starters, alt, waterpumps, etc) and doesn't cover gaskets but I'm not 100% sure. GM requires us put a 12/12 warranty on all out of warr. repairs. $3000 for head gaskets doesn't sound too bad for parts and labor as here it would have been nearly that in labor alone (pays 37hrs IIRC). What was the $6K worht of work for???

TomJ01
03-02-2009, 12:55
The $6000 figure came from a GM Rep. on the GM customer Service Line. The shop says they told the Rep. it was a $4600 job with GM picking up 50% of the labor, $1600. I guess I am on the hook for about $3000. I am still asking for some compensation for a rental car and an extended stay (now 27 days) since vehicle went to shop for head gaskets. I think it completely unfair for me to suffer thru this because of the shop's mistakes or a GM supply line issue. The truck has now been in their shop for 37 days since I arrived here on Jan.20, 2009. The shop says all the required parts may be in this week. Not holding my breath. I am in Southern Nevada.

madmatt
03-02-2009, 17:46
yep,, that pretty much sucks. I'll see if we have some gaskets in the morning and make sure I can make them available to you if needed.

madmatt
03-02-2009, 17:47
mind giving me the last 8 of your VIN???

TomJ01
03-03-2009, 08:27
Same old story all over again. The gasket set that was to arrive yesterday or today, never shipped. Finally got head gaskets after extended delays. What the heck is going on with GM? Shop tells me GM will not except any parts from outside their normal supply system, regardless of the original source. I found OEM head gaskets and gasket set available on-line weeks ago. GM refused to secure them and said if I got them and hand carried them into the shop, the repairs would have no warranty.
I am out many hundereds of dollars in rental car fees and extended stay costs. GM seems to have no problem with these mounting costs eating me alive. No wonder they are struggling.
Shop says they will eventually install "C" thickness gaskets that are in their possession. VIN 1E226511

DmaxMaverick
03-03-2009, 09:53
It isn't GM. It's the dealer holding your truck hostage who is the problem. GM has no such policy regarding parts sourcing, in regards to most parts. Some parts, such as warrantied reman injectors, must come from the reman pool, or you could be responsible for the balance over what it would cost them. OEM parts are OEM parts, and only a few dealers will balk. It's my opinion, following your dilemma, this dealer is doing everything they can to get as much of your money they can, and have no interest in helping you avoid cost. They certainly aren't doing everything they can to assist a customer with what's right. Most dealers don't work this way.

TomJ01
03-03-2009, 11:45
I finally blew up this morning. Now the dealer is reversing direction and ordering the needed gasket set from the on-line supplier of OEM parts that I located for them on 2/25/09. They refused to order the head gaskets from this same source then. What the heck is going on here? Am I being held hostage just to run up my costs? If that is the case, GM should put these people out of business.

My problems are being viewed by a whole bunch of people in this small town. Word gets around pretty quickly. A tiny rental sedan looks pretty funny in front of a 10,000 lb trailer. Everyone asks "where is your truck". I tell them the truth which no one seems to believe. This is really putting GM in a bad light. I am acquanited with a lot of people here. I will be warning all of them while being completely truthful about my experience with this dealership. I don't know for certain who is at fault and I no longer care.

madmatt
03-04-2009, 15:11
according to what I found on parts locator,, at least a half dozen dealers have the needed parts sitting on thier shelfs. Some are as close as NV and CA.

madmatt
03-04-2009, 17:34
Tell them to call Jeff Wyler Buick Pontiac GMC in Florence, KY in the morning and have them overnighted. They have all the parts you need. They can do it and GM will pay for it,, don't let them tell you otherwise.

TomJ01
03-06-2009, 14:02
Madmatt, Thanks for the info and the time you have spent trying to help me out. All you guys on The Diesel Page age great and very helpful. The dealer says all the needed gaskets will be in this afternoon. It appears to be a regular laundry list gaskets, seals, and washers. I did ask to see the new head gaskets (rivited version) so I know for sure they really do have them. Sounds like the order for the gasket set went to Isuzu to be filled. The head gaskets were labeled made in Germany. The next time I post I hope I can tell you my truck is running again.

TomJ01
03-13-2009, 10:02
I finally got my truck back yesterday, a full 5 weeks after teardown. The dealership still says everything about the delays was beyond their control. They totally fault GM for unavailablity of parts.

The truck ran so good before the teardown that I expect I will not see any dramatic improvements other than the coolant issues. GM picked up 50% of labor and parts, so in some ways I feel lucky, my part $1937. I had, however, spend $2300 previously on ineffective repairs. Dealership finally supplied a rental car for the last week.

I need a few days to regain confidence in the truck before I try to tow my RV again and head toward our home in Oregon. I hope this is the end of this saga and appreciate all the quality help and advice I have received from The Diesel Page. THANKS to all of you!

DmaxMaverick
03-13-2009, 15:53
Good news, I hope. At least it's back in your possession, running. Take the dealership's excuses with a grain of salt. Perhaps they are not qualified (experienced) enough to do more than they did. Sad, but true, in some cases.

I wish we could have done more. But, it's darn near impossible to win a football game sitting in the easy chair (but we give it our best effort every time).

dr.olds
07-24-2009, 18:27
I have an 02 dmax and just love it, except for the head gasket problem, i have the heads sitting on the bench. doin the work my self. (dealers r over rated) i am replacing head bolts with head studs, (highly recomend it, although pricey) if there is a better gasket out there im all for it. whats with the rivits? never seen them DOC.