PDA

View Full Version : Turbo troubleshooting and replacement questions

markrinker
01-22-2004, 09:18
I have found little reading on how to know if your turbo is 'healthy', and what to look for in new/used/reman turbos.

How do I determine if my stock 1994 unit is performing up to specs? Is a simple boost gauge all it takes?

What options do I have for substituting later model GM units? Any tips for updating 1994 models?

gmctd
01-22-2004, 09:46
Remove the inlet duct, wiggle the shaft side to side and in and out. Engine off, of course.
At no point should the compressor wheel touch the housing.
If it makes good boost, it's ok.

Keep an eye out for a GM-8, last upgrade in the series, used thru 20XX. It's more efficient, turbine and compressor.

Others exist, non-wastegated, but will probably not maintain driveability you need for plowing.

markrinker
01-22-2004, 09:55
Will all GM-8 units bolt right up?

gmctd
01-22-2004, 10:10
Yes. The vac hose routes over the top instead of down and under.

Direct bolt-in, including exhaust.
Check my pics for comparison.

cruzer
01-22-2004, 10:13
Mark, I noticed in the members section you have a post and article about marine diesels. It's a good article and brings home the point that gauges are important. You will find from past posts on the TDP and its members that the 1st thing you should do to your truck is get a set of boost & pyrometer gauges before any mods. Most of us drive and tune by these gauges, so we don't hurt our investment.

markrinker
01-22-2004, 18:32
Agreed Cruzer! Gauges are on the list with the power chip, intake and exhaust system upgrade coming soon. (If I knew then what I *think* I know now - I would have installed gauges before the Turbo-Masters.)