PDA

View Full Version : headgasket?

cragle21
02-03-2009, 17:46
alright so i bought this truck 1999 chevy k2500 6.5 td. i had test drove it and it was fine. i picked it up drove it off the lot and it was fine. i drove about forty miles and i stoped at a red light and a huge cloud of white smoke poored past me. then a a few miles later the coolant light came on. i stopped checked the oil and it was about an inch and a quarter past the full mark. so i changed the oil. and was curious just how much oil was in there, at least 3 1/2 gallon. so i thought that was the reason. still doin it, and its goin through coolant, so what i am thinkin is its a head gasket? any ideas?

Robyn
02-03-2009, 17:59
Sounds like a head gasket went away.

Get the crap all drained out and change the oil and filter. Dont refill the coolant until you can get it apart and fix it. Glycol coolant will ruin bearings and other parts if allowed to remain in the engine.

Most likely it lost an end cylinder as they border on a large water passage.

Robyn

cragle21
02-03-2009, 18:07
should this be covered under my warranty?

bl78ljb
02-04-2009, 09:31
This could be a head gasket, or when this happened to my Suburban it was a cracked block. I would definitely push for this to be covered under warranty and I would also be concerned about bearings as Robin mentioned and as such if this is a warranty issue I would push for a new drop in engine from someone like Peninsular Diesel.