PDA

View Full Version : Combo Switch??

WRB Diesel
02-05-2009, 23:02
Two says ago I pulled into the garage and noticed that my turn signals(both left and right) started flashing at twice the normal rate. No biggy, probably a bad bulb or bad flasher. Yesterday as I was getting up to highway speed I noticed the engine running at a noticeably higher rpm at the specific speed and when up to highway speeds of 60 I was turning 2400 rpm instead of my normal 2100-2000. Cruise would shut off when I turned on a left or right signal and signals would flash at double time only with foot on the brake. Eventually (4 or 5 miles down the highway) the rpms came into their normal numbers 2300-2400 around 65. Today, the cruise does not work at all, turn signals are the same with or without braking (flashing twice as fast) and the engine rpms are high and would not come down the entire trip ~20 miles. I am assuming the cruise, turn signal issues are a faulty combo switch? Funny both the Tahoe and Suburban have had combo switch failure at the 195K mark. Quesiton is; could the combo switch be effecting the tranny and or TCC in a way that is causing the engine to run at a higher rpm? I should also mention that My TCC does not lock up in overdrive and has not for some time, I believe that the PCM is bad as the SES light comes on and off throughout the day, sometimes codes are stored and sometimes they are not and do not seem to be relevant as the rig has had no problems other that a higher than normal cruising rpm.

DmaxMaverick
02-06-2009, 00:09
Sounds like the hazard/flasher switch. It can cause all the above, and is the usual suspect on your year model.

WRB Diesel
02-06-2009, 06:06
DO I go about replacing the switch the same way as the combo switch and pull the steering wheel to get into the column?

Thanks,
Aryn

JohnC
02-06-2009, 11:17
Not the brake switch?

Truckie117
12-21-2009, 19:15
Funny thing happened to me My left turn signal wasn't working a few weeks ago and I thought it was the bulb. so I pulled it and put in a new one no joy. Then I thought it was a bad flasher so I had one of those and exchanged it. No Joy! Now its 25 degrees and 2ft snow and I have the tail lights off and checking with a tester I have power to each tail light circuit and the grounds are good if I reverse the 12 volt tester it goes green for ground. Then I checked the tail light socket board for continuity and it seems ok. Now I am thinking stop light switch. No Brake light to that side of the truck so maybe the stop light switch is bad.
I also had the same problem with lockup and engine revs.
How did you do on your problem
Thanks
Truckie117