PDA

View Full Version : neutral safety switch intermitent problem

Horse_gal_jen
02-06-2009, 09:08
I recently had an issue with my 01 duramax. I drove it for two hours straight and everything was fine. Then shut it off for a few hours and when I went to leave as I put the truck in gear the light on the dash showed i was in drive but the truck actually remained in park. i put the truck back in park and waited then back into drive and it engaged fine but the engine light came on and the truck would not shift out of first gear. I put a code reader on the truck and was given two codes about the transmission (sorry don't ahve the book with me to give the exact codes) Took the truck out a few hours later to a transmission guy and the engine light went out and the truck shifted fine.

Based on the info I gave to the mechanic he suggested as did the GM dealership after reading the codes presented that it was an issue with the neutral safety switch.

The problem has not occured again since then and this was before christmas that I had the issue.

Has anyone had a similar issue and did it re-occur?

One mechanic i talked to suggested that it had to do with water splashing up onto the switch and it was warm that day and raining so I did drive through some big puddles when I was out that morning.

It hasn't been warm enough to even think about water splashing here since then and the problem hasn't re-occured, but it's set to get warm here tomorrow and rain and i'm worried it will re-occur.

JohnC
02-06-2009, 12:11
Those switches were problematic. Get a replacement from an Allison dealer (cheaper that way...) and have it installed as a preventive measure.

Do a search on NSBU for more info.