PDA

View Full Version : A big fat pig. Chris Craft Roamer to Florida...

Mark Rinker
02-07-2009, 05:57
A leisurely trip south to FL with a 30' Chris Craft 'project boat' (more like 'basket case' with two new engines) has turned into more of a load than I bargained for...

The steel hulled CC 'Roamer' is known to be heavy, but a breech in the shrinkwrap where it had been stored for a few years allowed water to collect in the bilge, where it froze...adding at least another 2000# of weight in the rearmost location of the boat.

We loaded it, positioning the boat so the triple axle 21K# transport trailer (not your normal run of the mill trailer, all 4"x8" tube steel construction) could carry all but 1500-2000# on the tongue. A quick test drive determined that all was well with the load, before hitting the highway.

Gross = 28,540# according to the CAT scale ticket. Truck sits level, drives out nicely, stops fine with the help of 6 good e-brakes out back...tranny temps hit 210 on grades, settle back to 190 on flats. Speed is limited to 55-60mph.

I'll be pumping out water as the ice melts - its over 50F near Nashville as I write this. There will still be ice in the bottom for a week after it arrives in Florida...its quite a large mass. No desire to have even 500# of liquid weight sloshing forward as I brake.

EdHale
02-08-2009, 04:22
You didn't wave as you drove by Mark. I am on the houseboat north of Chattanooga this weekend. It is still a little bit cool, but we did take a 3 hour cruise up river and back yesterday. Spring is getting closer. Drive safe.

Ed

Mark Rinker
02-08-2009, 06:42
Hey Ed, thought about calling, but the schedule wouldn't allow it...wow I couldn't believe all the tree damage from the ice storms.

Followed a Swift truck down Monteagle, they smoked their brakes and hit the second runaway ramp at about 75-80mph. Fairly spectacular, I have seen the tracks in the sand before, but this time I was 1/4 mile behind!!!

Robyn
02-08-2009, 08:45
I have run a lot of heavy grades in the big rig and often wonder how these guys manage to waste the brakes. :confused:

I wonder if they ever heard of using the Jake ????????

Coming off a 6% grade is a snap with the Jake pedal firmly under my left foot, even at 105,500 Pounds the rig will settle in nicely with little to no service brakes needed to hold it.

Mark
Do you have an exhaust brake of any kind on your tow rigs???

The idea of hitting a runaway ramp at 80 just seems a tad over the top top me.
Those guys likely needed a change of shorts after that ride.

RC

EdHale
02-09-2009, 04:12
I too have seen trucks in the runaway ramps, but never actually seen one doing it. I did have a truck once pass me that I thought would take the next ramp, but didn't. He made it all the way to the bottom ok, but the last turn probably caused him to have to stop for other reasons.

Did the boat finally thaw out Mark?

Ed

Mark Rinker
02-10-2009, 19:13
Robyn - I have a factory exhaust brake on the Kodiak. Nothing on the two 3500s. Electric brakes aren't that great, I know, but when all six are fresh and working on the big boat transport, they will stop everything on their own, so adding the Allison grade braking and four big disc brakes and there is plenty of stop, as long as you keep speeds down.

Ed - yes, I pumped at least 2000# of water out after stopping in Gainsville. Owner had an electric basement sump pump and hose in the boat. It literally ran for 45 minutes solid...the water was almost up to the starters on the engines, about 9" deep in the center.

rustyk
02-10-2009, 20:32
I wish I'd known you were in my neck of the woods! I live just north of Gainesville.

Mark Rinker
02-11-2009, 13:09
I am headed back north and will remember the 'Gainsville Connection' for next trip...

rustyk
02-12-2009, 21:38
I guess the Roamer got delivered without further issues. Have a safe trip back home!

Mark Rinker
02-13-2009, 14:11
It did!

I am back home in Elk River, exactly 48hrs after the boat was lifted off my trailer near Port Charlotte. I found a new, crated jet ski that needed a ride to MN in Columbus, Georgia, but no 'full boat' backhaul this time...

rustyk
02-14-2009, 20:48
Robyn - I have a factory exhaust brake on the Kodiak. Nothing on the two 3500s. Electric brakes aren't that great, I know, but when all six are fresh and working on the big boat transport, they will stop everything on their own, so adding the Allison grade braking and four big disc brakes and there is plenty of stop, as long as you keep speeds down.

I wanted to put an exhaust brake on the motorhome (Plenty of braking power - same as that on the 30' and 32' models - vented discs all around). But there's only one option, and because my turbo dumps into a 6" flex then into the muffler, there was no room - and the whole thing would've run $1,700. Then after experimenting, found I barely had to touch the pedal even on 8% down, by shifting the 4L80E into 2nd gear. Tranny temp didn't twitch...