PDA

View Full Version : 99 Front Blower Motor

DieselDavey
02-07-2009, 11:56
Hello everyone.

I did the searches and found some great info, however...

I need to replace the front HVAC blower motor.

This thing is really buried and blocked in.

Other posts say to remove the bolt that holds the bar supporting the dash, and then you can pry the dash forward (towards cabin) or down to allow room to remove the motor.

Maybe my burb is different... the bar supporting the dash goes through the side of an right angle clip (bracket) and is spot welded. There is a bolt that attaches the bracket to the passanger side pillar. It took a 13mm socket.

Under the bracket is a stud. The stud is fastened to the pillar. I can not remove the stud. There is a (welded?) attachment to bottom of the angle clip, and is shaped around the stud, preventing the dash support bar from moving at all.

I'm tempted to cut the stud with a sawzall...

Also, there is a plastic/ insulating shroud covering the blower motor and other components... I cant get this off. I removed the 2 wires from the motor (with needle nose pliers, could not even get my fingers on the connectors). Should I just cut this thing with a razor knife? How do you get the damn thing off?

I'm trying to get this done today... Cant find help anywhere else.

Thank you!

diesel65
02-07-2009, 12:43
Step 1, Remove glovebox door

Step 2, Remove PCM

Step 3, Loosen the 2 screws holding the PCM bracket in front, remove 2 screws that are hidden from the topside of the shelf, you need a 7mm socket.

Step 4, Remove PCM bracket after disconnecting the VSSB.

Step 5, Unplug the wires from the blower motor.

Step 6, Remove the blower motor cover by sneaking it out between the cross bar and the motor.

Step 7, Remove screws holding blower motor to housing, 5.5mm socket

Step 8, To remove motor, rotate motor approx 180 degress to utilize the flat edge of the blower flange to sneak it out pass the cross bar.

DieselDavey
02-07-2009, 13:11
Thanks William,

I have the glove box door off...

Did not know I needed to remove the PCM.

The manual for replacing the blower motor on ALLDATAdiy said nothing about it...

Looks like the PCM just clips into the bracket...

Heading outside now. I'll let ya know what happens.

The shop wants 190.00... If this don't work for me, they just might get it!

Thanks!

diesel65
02-07-2009, 13:20
Removing the PCM and bracket is only to save the blower motor cover.

DieselDavey
02-08-2009, 20:43
What an absolute PITA!!!

Took about 6-8 hours total.

Had to use a 7/32 wrench (had to buy an "ignition" wrench set) with my finger tips, only able to turn the flange bolts 1/4 turn each time (top 2 bolts).

AAAHHHHRRRRGGGG!

Had to use a 7mm long open end to get the front PCM brackets bolts loose, again with finger tips.

All work done laying cramped on side or upside down... has anyone learned to master Yoga in order to work on your Burbs better?

Anyhow, glad to have it done, and thanks for your help William!

I ruled out all other causes of the intermittent blower motor problem (running on & off randomly, no matter what speed): resistor block OK, Connectors not burnt, high speed relay good...

So after I changed the motor, I get on the road, and the damn motor cuts in and out! Just once, very quickly. Then I was on the road for an hour, and the motor worked perfectly... maybe that one time was just a fluke...

Thanks Again!

DieselDavey
03-06-2009, 15:53
Just a very late update!

It was the Damn Speed Selector Switch!

Melted!

Much easier to replace than the Damned fan!

I tried to get replacement dash lights while I had the dash apart... seems like the lghts are a dealer part only. Went to 3 auto parts shops... none had them!

Again, thanks all for your help!

Robyn
03-09-2009, 07:30
Missy is offering Burbyoga classes starting soon. :D

Try getting a wrench on the upper Hydroboost nuts that are way up under the dash.

These are also locking nuts and have to be fought all the way.

Had one on a Blazer that would not come loose. I cut the head off the sucker out front and shoved it through and picked it off the floor. :mad:

Yes the old style dash units can be a little obnoxious for sure.

Glad you got it fixed.

RC

DennisG01
03-09-2009, 12:15
I tried to get replacement dash lights while I had the dash apart... seems like the lghts are a dealer part only. Went to 3 auto parts shops... none had them!

Don't know the exact part #'s, but superbrightleds dot com has replacement bulbs (LED's, of course). Might have to call them directly.

DieselDavey
03-11-2009, 11:34
Missy is offering Burbyoga classes starting soon. :D LOL Robyn! We need these classes now! :)

Thanks for the link Dennis! Great info!