PDA

View Full Version : New to Dmax, looking at 2002 2500HD

97-6.5TD-F
02-09-2009, 18:37
My local dealership has an '02 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 SLT for sale, it has 311000 kms (193287 miles), and it needs a few repairs but nothing major (trans cooler lines, inner tierods, rear brakes.) They only want $8500 cdn for it which is pretty good considering similar trucks with slightly less mileage are going for 13-16k.

Basically I was wondering if you guys could help me out with any "what to look fors" or anything I should be wary of for this model year. The banks going to get back to me tomorrow so I have to decide by then, it runs and drives great and the body is absolutely mint, they are saying they haven't had the time to run it through the shop to repair it and get more money for it, and I believe them considering the shape of the thing.

The only thing that scares me a little is the front seal on the trans appears to have been leaking at one point, its not too big of a deal for me to replace as I am a professional mechanic, just more of a pain and time consumer. Any thoughts on that? Thanks everyone for any help!

NutNbutGMC
02-09-2009, 19:13
My local dealership has an '02 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 SLT for sale, it has 311000 kms (193287 miles), and it needs a few repairs but nothing major (trans cooler lines, inner tierods, rear brakes.) They only want $8500 cdn for it which is pretty good considering similar trucks with slightly less mileage are going for 13-16k.

Basically I was wondering if you guys could help me out with any "what to look fors" or anything I should be wary of for this model year. The banks going to get back to me tomorrow so I have to decide by then, it runs and drives great and the body is absolutely mint, they are saying they haven't had the time to run it through the shop to repair it and get more money for it, and I believe them considering the shape of the thing.

The only thing that scares me a little is the front seal on the trans appears to have been leaking at one point, its not too big of a deal for me to replace as I am a professional mechanic, just more of a pain and time consumer. Any thoughts on that? Thanks everyone for any help!Run away in my opinion. Read the board here. I'd not touch an LB7 unless I was a darn good wrencher and had spare parts. I speak from less than desirable experiences with the LB7 engine (in a 2001 and a 2002). Run away. Injectors are an issue but surely (or Shirley :D) you know that from reading here. Others here may disagrre but the proof is here on the board. That's why it's $8500 cdn. I am not trashing anyone's machine but merely speaking from my extreme dissatisfaction and experiences with the LB7 engine.

Only my $0.02 worth

Redhanded
02-09-2009, 20:30
Get the warranty repair record from the dealer. See if the injectors have been replaced and if it had any other cronic:D problems. I don't think you want to replace the injectors on your own dime. I have a 02 with LB7 and 153,000 miles still a GREAT truck. 8500.00 cd what is that American? sounds cheap. One thing that scares me about buying a used diesel truck is weather the previous owner had a programmer on it and abused the motor by careless use of the power settings. You know the one truck at the local tractor pull that is flogged like a rented mule by a redheaded step child:eek:

97-6.5TD-F
02-09-2009, 21:32
I really didn't think they were that bad of an engine, my 6.5 experience was bad! I know of the injector issues but I am not to concerned if I have to replace them and upgrade filtration.

A friend of mine knows the p o of this truck, and he was an older gentleman who kept it all stock and serviced by the dealership, and it shows. It really is in great shape.

So is the LB7 that bad that I should not buy it? Aside from injector issues they are good?

Edit; $7055 US (approx)

DmaxMaverick
02-09-2009, 21:52
No. They are not "that bad". At all, IMO. If you understand the injector issue, you've got it licked. There are other issues, but no more than any other vehicle in history, and certainly not a reason to turn away from it. If the injectors have been replaced recently, I wouldn't be afraid of it in the least. The price is good enough to allow for some future expense without being hosed (even an injector replacement, if necessary). Totaled wrecks are selling for more than that.

97-6.5TD-F
02-09-2009, 23:34
Thanks man, because I am more than likely going to buy the thing, i have always wanted one and this one I can actually afford!

Whats a set of injectors worth anyways?

Redhanded
02-09-2009, 23:55
I saw the bill for my warranty replacment and it was $2700.00 US ,Injectors were listed at $245 each.

7 grand for an 02 Dmax a shame it's allthe way out in alberta.

Redhanded
02-09-2009, 23:59
I'd like to know that if the injectors are replaced with the warranty replacments is the problem with the injectors failing solved? or are the injectors just going to fail again in the future for the same reason?

DmaxMaverick
02-10-2009, 00:19
Injectors aren't too bad if you do them yourself. You can find new and reman's (not sure which is better....) for around $150 each, and cheaper for a set on Ebay and Craig's List once in a while. Just keep an eye out. The job isn't too difficult, just time consuming and meticulous. I haven't done mine (myself), but have assisted on a couple others. I'll do mine, if the need arises. If the injectors have been replaced in the last year or two, you may not need to worry about it for a while. From what's been reported here and elsewhere, any replacements after about 2005 have been very reliable. Got my fingers crossed and knocking wood (had mine replaced about 15 months ago, my last warranty chance). When they work, they work. Can't beat the performance when all is well. I've been very pleased with mine, and I took delivery of one of the first in CA back in 2000. Still drives like new (can't say that for ANY other vehicle I've ever owned with over 100K miles). Originally, I had intended to keep it for 4 years then trade it. Just can't bare to part with it. Despite the issues seen over the years, I still love it, if that's possible. Take care of it, and it'll return the favor.

mbmax
02-10-2009, 08:06
I've had my 02 dmax since new.150k kilometers and original injectors. Still pulls like new. As Maverick says take care of it and it looks after you. Change fuel filter regularly and I use Stanadyne Performance formula all seasons. Having said this I have had a chronic rear axle seal leak issue on both sides since new! I'm on my fifth set now. Not a big issue for you I suppose but keep a eye out on your backing plates for leaks! I also change antifreeze well below what GM says. Other than the injector issues as previously posted the lb7 engine is pretty solid and relatively less complex than newer models as I understand it. Go for it I say!
Frank