PDA

View Full Version : Powermaster Starter

Scooby
02-10-2009, 20:31
I just wanted to say a quick thank you again to the Diesel page, for solving yet another problem on my 96 6.5 . I was having slow cranking problems again, and after replacing all the cables last summer, and having 2 going from the right battery to the starter, I was quite sure I wasnt having voltage drop issues. The meter confirmed very little voltage drop on any cable, so I started pricing starters. I did a little reading on TDP, and saw some posts about Powermaster. I checked their website, and decided to give them a try. I got one from Jegs for 313.99, about $50 more than the rebuilts (crapshoots) I had been pricing. I was surprised when the new starter came, as it is configured quite differently than the original . I had my starter out when replacing the cables, and I knew it was a bit of a pain. Turns out putting the new starter in was much easier than pulling the old one out. It is shorter, and much easier to get up in the hole. the terminals are on the oil pan side of the unit, making wire hookup much easier. The little support on the back is much more accessible too. The coil is on the bottom, and the motor on top. The best part is, when I turned the key, the motor nearly started right up, and I didnt want for the glow plugs to time out. This thing CRANKS !!
Once again, DIesel page saves the day !! :)