PDA

View Full Version : Gauge setsups for more than three gauges?

Steve O.
02-05-2005, 07:13
Anyone out there have more than the "standard" three gauge pillar setup in their truck?

I have pyro/boost/trans temp in an Autometer triple pod, but an about to add rear diff temp/oil temp/oil pressure and am trying to come up with a clean install.

I found that you can buy PVC pipe in the right i.d. and make my own mini pods. I painted some with rubberized undercoating for a clean look, but I thought before I committed myself I'd see what others had done. Mounting location is another big question.

Pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

arrowheadracing
02-05-2005, 07:24
Not sure if you have the stock cd player remote or a delete pocket. But that might be an area, if your skillful with fabrication, where you could put some extra gauges? Be interesting to hear what others have done.

Good Luck
Todd

GMC Hauler
02-05-2005, 07:52
I have the Autometer 2 gage pillar mount and the Universal Dash Pods w/ Seperate Mounting Base avialable here: US Diesel (http://www.usdieselparts.com/pages.cfm?id=86) . They mount next to each other perfectly. You will need to color match it. I believe they have different versions of this piece, as mine only has 3 gage mounts in it. I only have 4 gages, with a hole for a intake air temperature gage when Bill Heath has those available.

sidedump
02-05-2005, 07:54
Dakota Digital said they could add more gauges to their digital cluster. You would need to be with out your fac. cluster for a few weeks while they make the modifications.
They were not sure how many more gauges they could add with out your cluster in front of them. The price was right around a thousand (do you really love your truck that much). Heres a link.http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail.cfm/-/Category=84/PartNumber=VFD3-92C-PU/product.htm

Steve O.
02-05-2005, 10:06
Todd, I did put an aftermarket stereo in the center of the dash and made a panel out of real carbon fiber for my roof light switches. you're right, that would be a great place for gauges though.

GMCHauler: That four gauge Universal Gauge Pod is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to call them on Monday (closed today it seems), because it actually does not seem to come up on their selection menu. It's also not on the Autometer page. Thanks for the tipoff. Its perfect for what I need.

Steve

catmandoo
02-05-2005, 11:51
on my 92 i used the old radio spot,works good for 2 gauges,don't think 3 would squeeze in there though,also on my 94 sub i took a 3 gauge banks dash pod and mounted it right above the center a/c outlets.you need to cut it at a 45 degree angle or so and attach it to the dash bezel,this way you can just pop the whole thing off if need be,also the little bumps on top only stick up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch above the dashboard.i'll see if i can get my camera to work and shoot a pic.

Steve O.
02-05-2005, 11:57
Catmandoo, if its not too much trouble, that would be great.

Thanks

Steve

GMC Hauler
02-05-2005, 18:49
Steve O

No problem. Enjoy.

jdmetcalf57
02-06-2005, 07:04
I recently added 3 gauges in the pocket under the radio. I added a boost, backpressure and a fuel pressure gage in this area I used 1.5" panel mount gages that I bought from Mcmaster Carr, an industrial supplier. I took the pocket out and made a face plate out of ABS plastic that I could glue to the ABS pocket. The gages sit about 1" behind the main dash panel but are very easily seen from the drivers seat. Since these gages don't come with lights I bought some Led panel lights from Radio Shack (that had the resistor built in) and mounted them to the bottom of the pocket in front of the gages. You cannot see the LEDs from the front seat but they shine on the gages. With the LEDs you can easily read the gages at night.

All together I have maybe $40-$45 in these three gages yet they still look pretty good.

I would post pictures but my truck is in the shop getting a new GM motor at GM's expense. It had a cracked block. Thank God it wasn't past the 100K (had 97K).

catmandoo
02-06-2005, 12:31
hey steve o i think i got the camera working,i'll try for a pic tomorrow.