PDA

View Full Version : Does a 6.2L Injector pump work on a 6.5L?

waggy73
02-12-2009, 16:40
Hello all, new to the forum here. I did a search and couldn't come up with a relevant answer. This is for an '83 GMC3500/TH400 with a 6.5L engine only swap. The truck also has a Banks turbo rather than the stock 6.5L turbo.

Will a 6.2L injector pump work on a 6.5L engine? The 6.5L injector pump has a wiring harness coming off of it, I assume to a controller of sorts that we don't have as part of the '83 chassis. The reason for the pump swap is the lack of a "controller" for the 6.5L pump, and the pump does not turn by hand. The 6.2L pump was working before the swap. Thanks for any help you can shed on this.

Tony

DickWells
02-12-2009, 20:43
Probably not. Sounds like you have an electronic pump on your 6.5. If you don't have a throttle cable going to the pump, then it's electronic. By wiring harness, if you mean that there are more than 3-4 wires in it, then it's surely elec. I only have two going to my mechanical pump, but there should be 3. I never did hook up my cold-start-fast-idle. Never needed it.
Otherwise, if your 6.5 was never electronic, I'd guess that the 6.2 pump would work. IIRC, the bigger fittings at the pump weren't used until the factory turbo came along. Someone with more knowledge will surely be able to tell you right here in TDP.
Regards,
Dick Wells:)

waggy73
02-13-2009, 11:39
Thanks for the reply Dick. Your reply makes a lot of sense. I'll wait to see if anyone else weighs in. On that note, did they make 2 different types of 6.5L pumps, one electronic and one mechanical? Sounds like that may be the issue.

DmaxMaverick
02-13-2009, 12:05
There were/are 2 IP platforms for the 6.5L engine series. There are also different pump models within those platforms. The 6.5L began in 1992 (Model year 1993, and late M/Y 1992), replacing the 6.2L. These were mechanically controlled pumps. Beginning the 1994 M/Y, the electronic IP's were introduced. They have remained essentially the same, with the exception year being 1994. The 1994 pumps are unique, but can be replaced with later model pumps with some modification. The pumps have been "refined" over the years, but still remain essentially the same, within their respective platform. There is also the N/A vs. TD models, and their respective fuel supply equipment. All of the pumps are universally interchangeable with any engine, mechanically. Crossing platforms requires modification (eg. EFI to MFI), but all the parts will fit with replacement adaptation of associated parts. Some performance variations are present as well, such as, a late model 6.5L pump will have a higher fuel delivery than previous 6.2L pumps, and vice versa.

In your case, you need to identify the fuel injection type you have, MFI or EFI. If it has a trottle cable controlling the pump, then it's MFI. If no cable, and an electronic trottle pedal, then it's EFI. A visual inspection of the pump and/or throttle pedal is all that's required to determine this. Once that's answered, then answers for the rest of your questions will follow.

waggy73
02-14-2009, 14:57
Ok, I think you've got me set straight on the different pump options for the 6.5L. So now that I think about it, is there any reason why a mechanical 6.2L injector pump won't work on "any" 6.5L engine? The 6.5L doesn't know what type of pump supplies the injectors, or does it? The mechanical side of the injector pump that is driven by the timing assembly looks to be the same between the 6.2L and the 6.5L, hence why we thought they could swap with no problems.

This is on an 83 chassis and wiring harness, so the harness is not expecting to drive an electric pump anyway.

Jodean
02-15-2009, 15:50
I think we are missing half the story....

does the 83 have a 6.2 or a 350 in it??

I understand you are putting the 6.5 in it....

if it had the 6.2 you just swap all the 6.2 parts on the 6.5 motor. You can keep your serp setup though if you want. You can keep the turbo to but it will interfere with the ac evaporator and heater box on the firewall. You can use the 6.5 injectors but you will have to use the 6.2 lines with the 6.2 pump....the lines will have to be slightly bent unless you find lines off a 93 truck. Some suggest not bending the lines, but mine are bent and work fine.

if it had a 350 you will need to hunt down a few parts. Obviosly the throttle cable. There is a way to make the th400 work, cant remember though...not sure if the vac pump provides the right vacuum for it.

Robyn
02-15-2009, 16:27
Any of the DB2 pumps made for the 6.2 or 6.5 will bolt on and work with the 6.5.
You will need the correct High pressure line set that was used for 92-93 DB2 pumps

The pumps used on the N/A 6.2 will have less power than a 6.5 pump used on a 6.5 Turbo engine

A 6.2 pump used on a "J" engine with about 1/4 or so turn more on the fuel screw inside the pump will get you very close to 6.5 performance.

A DB2 model 4911 Pump is the ticket. These were the ones used in 92-93 and will deliver all the fuel you need with the turbo.

Depending on which Banks setup it is will dictate if you have any fit issues.

The early series of Banks for use on the older GM rigs with a 6.2 will fit a 6.5 great and the serp drive will fit too.
You will however have to use a rear vacuum pump.

The later Banks design that was for the GM400 trucks is a little different and you may have some issues with fit around the AC unit on the 83

Have fun

Robyn

Jodean
02-15-2009, 17:38
theres no such thing as a high pressure line set.

the 6.2 lines will work.

the 6.5 lines have a slightly larger inside diameter of the line. The outside diameter of a 6.2 and 6.5 line are the same. You can spend money on 6.5 lines, but id use what you have.

The 4911 has a larger piston than the other db2 pumps but i doubt you could tell the difference unless you have a dyno.

I didnt even notice any power diff when i pulled the 6.2 injectors (110 bar) and put in new 6.5td injectors (145 bar)

DickWells
02-15-2009, 20:29
The the injector line fittings at the pump are larger on the turbo 6.5, so if you use those on a 6.2, you'll have to have addapters. My 4911 pump came with a full set of lines, so I didn't have to do a thing, except, the lousy timing pressure sensor on NO 1 was cracked! I ordered a new line without the sensor.
DW

Robyn
02-15-2009, 20:49
The injector lines are the "HIGH Pressure set"

The 6.2 uses a couple different sets depending on what the application was.
The 6.5 with the turbo uses a different set because the angle of the injectors in the head were changed to allow the turbo to clear everything and the 6.5 injectors are shorter.

The lines used on the DS4 pumps are different too.

The lines from a 6.5 of 92-93 vintage with the DB2 pump will work fine

Having the higher pop pressure injectors will give a tad better/cleaner starts and the engine will rattle a bit more too.

The high pop gives a little bit finer spray.
The only issue is to be sure the IP is in top shape so it will pop the squirts when its hot.

RC

Jodean
02-16-2009, 08:52
Ok i guess i stated that wrong.....im just saying all the lines are the same as for high pressure....theres no low pressure or high pressure lines, they all handle the some 2000psi

As for the angle changing in the heads, i dont believe thats correct. I think the van had a different angle, along wth the hummer.

Again im using the 6.2 lines on my 6.5 with a 4911 pump.

EDIT: ok i was wrong about the injector angle......they are different on the 6.5 but not enought that the lines wont work.

Robyn
02-16-2009, 09:32
Yup, were on the same page.
I refer to these as the HP lines so that there is no confusion as to what I am speaking of.

The DS4 runs a little higher pressure but its no biggy.

The 6.2 lines will work as long as you have the right injectors.

The lines for the 6.5 with the 4911 are different than the lines used on the same basic DB2 pump as was used on the 6.2.
The angle of the injectors in the head is different on the 6.5 as compared to the 6.2
The injectors are also a different length in the 6.2 as compared to the 6.2

You may be able to "Tweek" the lines a little to get them to work.

The line sets from the 92-93 6.5 as used in the C-K trucks are all alone in the lineup.

Vans are different yet

I have seen many different mix and match ideas on these but as long as you can get them to fit It will likely be fine

RC

waggy73
02-16-2009, 10:18
Thanks for all the helpful responses. As to the question from Jodean, the 83 originally had a 6.2L with a Banks turbo, the engine died, so we swapped in a 6.5L and swapped over the Banks setup. Everything fits in the engine bay without issues at this time. We also swapped the 6.2L pump onto the 6.5L, I'd have to check the model number on the pump, not sure if it is the 4911. So the verdict sounds like the pump should work fine as long as the injector lines are fitting properly to the pump and the injectors (we still have the 6.5L injectors in the 6.5L engine). So since the engine does not start, it sounds like we have other issues that need to be addressed at this time.