PDA

View Full Version : Towing A Tahoe: Curb Wieght?

Stratosurfer
02-14-2009, 14:40
All,
I'm trying to get set up for pulling the Tahoe behind USS LOADMASTER this spring and I can't find the 'curb wieght' of my Tahoe in the manual. It is the two door (obviously) Tahoe 6.5 CK. I am considering towing with a tow-dolly and all of them made are maxed out at a capacity of 4,000 lbs curb wieght (total vehicle: dry). Anyone have this number? Anyone towed a Tahoe with a dolly.
A few folks in the know say if I'm only a few lbs overwieght I probably won't damage the dolly as I don't tow that often, otherwise I guess I'l have to tow 4 wheels down or on a trailer.
Thanks

Mark Rinker
02-14-2009, 15:52
I have never seen a commercial dolly made heavy enough for any late model pickup. I would estimate your Tahoe at 8000#.

rustyk
02-14-2009, 20:25
Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/used/1997/chevrolet/tahoe/17318/specs.html) lists the '97 Tahoe at 4,807 lbs., curb weight (I picked the 4WD as closer to the 6.5L TD, as specs for that isn't shown.

The best way is to go to a truck scale (same for the Regency) and get it weighed for about $8.

Stratosurfer
02-15-2009, 12:58
Thanks Rusty, the 4800 lb curb wieght sounds correct and of course too heavy for a tow dolly. I guess I'll be towing 4 wheels down.

diesel65
02-15-2009, 14:14
4800 lbs is for a stripped down 2dr Tahoe, My truck tipped the scales at 5900 lbs. It is a LT model which I dynamatted about 80% of the interior.

Just remember to shift your transfer case to neutral when you tow 4 wheel down if you have the manual shift, if you have the push button shift then you have to disconnect the rear drive shaft or trailer it. Some people will say the push button has neutral but 97 MY did not have that feature.

Stratosurfer
02-16-2009, 08:18
It is a LT model which I dynamatted about 80% of the interior.

Thanks Diesel65,
Mine has the manual shift xfer case engagement so I suppose I can do it then.
How well does the the dynamatting help lower the noise level in the cabin? I'm considering this as well as carpet as mine has the rubber flooring only.
Thanks

arveetek
02-16-2009, 08:51
I wouldn't mess with the tow dolly. They're nice for towing small cars, but with a larger 4x4, it's really easy to tow with all 4 wheels down. In fact, it will track and handle better than a dolly will.

You can pick up a universal tow bar dirt cheap that either bolts to the bumper, or you can make your own mounts. Another option is a full baseplate/towbar setup. The baseplate permanently mounts to the frame, and then the towbar attaches to the baseplate. Blue Ox (http://www.blueox.us/) is one brand, and is very high quality.

Casey

diesel65
02-16-2009, 16:18
I say it helps alot, but it can be a subjective opinon. It depends how much you want to invest in the material.
I know I took a bunch of pictures but I can't find them, maybe I didn't use digital media.