PDA

View Full Version : Which Mud Tires?

Chris611
10-22-2003, 17:02
I am looking for some new tires for my truck. I will be sticking with the LT265/75 - 16's. What are some good mud tires? I want the aggressive tread for mud and snow, but don't want a lot of noise on the highway. I'm not concerened with a little tire noise, but not the humming...etc. I currently have Wild County TXR's They are good tires, have lasted a long time, but I would like a more aggressive tread for my next set. Let me know you guys experences, good or bad.

Thanks
Chris

JMY19
10-22-2003, 19:12
I am running BFG all terrains. They ride excellent and give ample traction in a variety of situations. They do cake up a bit in the thick mud but then again they really excell if you do any beach riding. I have had my truck in a variety of situations, and the best tire is still pretty crappy when put with the worst right foot. I had cooper discover A/T before these, and they wore down pretty fast (under 50,000 miles). My suggestion is the BFGS, and they also have a mud terrain tire too little more aggressive. I imagine worse in the snow seeing as the tire has no siping. Wouldnt know first hand. Good luck. P.S. Sams club has good deals on All terrains and installation at only 9 (11 I believe for duallys) a tire, with free lifetime balancing, rotation, and road hazard. No I do not work for sams, I just want to save you guys some money.

whatnot
10-22-2003, 21:24
THese are what I have: click here (http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=28)

They are a little noisy but not that bad. I think they cost me $137.50 each installed each. (LT265/75R16 C)

Truenorth
10-23-2003, 04:24
The way to go is with the BFG All Terrain T/A KO.
Check them out here
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/index_7***p

James Schaack
10-23-2003, 10:38
I just ordered a set of 265/75/r16 BFG mud-terrain t/a for my '93 2500. They should be here next week and I can let you know about road noise, clearance, ride, etc. My dad had these tires on his truck and man could it go through some mud/snow!!! The all-terrains will probably have a longer life, but the mud-terrains are much more aggressive. You should also look at the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. This is an awesome tire and is supposed to be one of the better off road tires. I wanted them but couldn't get them through my cheap supplier. Another tire I like is the Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grip. Once again, my dad now has these on his truck and he really likes them. As somebody else had said, I would check with sam's club on getting tires. You can get some at a much lower cost than other places, and they have really cheap installation rates, plus free rotation etc. www.samsclum.com (http://www.samsclum.com)

hope this helps!! :cool:

C.K. Piquup
10-27-2003, 20:10
Goodyear Wrangler MTRs out perform BFGs(ATs&MTs)off-road and in bad traction on-road.MTRs&MTs about the same on hiway,ATs better.I also run SwamperSSRs on a truck.Personally,Ilove them.I buy 4wds for what they are and don`t mind noise or rough ride.I hate getting stuck!!

Dieselboy
10-27-2003, 20:16
BFG ATs do great in everything but mud. Believe me, I've tried most of it.

BFG MTs or Goodyear MTRs are the ticket when things get nasty.

David_Jennings
10-28-2003, 16:57
High Tec Retreading. $55 a tire. Good people. Truck-grade rubber. Visit their website.

wilpulu
10-28-2003, 18:46
BFG AT's are the way to go. I have never had such a soft tire last so long. Right around 50k. Up here in WI they see everything and really excel in the snow and slush. If you are strictly off-roading you want the MT's or a more suitable tire such as a super-swamper. I have always told people who have asked about tires to go with the AT's and they've all been happy.

norm
10-28-2003, 19:15
Pro-comp has an interesting mud tire that has some siping that most don't. might help in snow and wet. I just ordered their all terrains LT265/75r16-E. anyone have experience with pro-comp??

C.K. Piquup
11-11-2003, 04:01
SuperSwampers & GoodyearMTRs have excellent siping.BfgM/Ts are great on/off road.All these will improve your performance in"MUD",BfgATs won`t.I like the hiway ride on all three mud tires.BfgATs are great in everything but mud.They get extreme mileage,but when you`re boggin` down in some mud,25` will do.

thechevyhdman
11-11-2003, 22:45
I replaced the Firestones with MTRs last year, They are a phenomenal traction, and load carrying tire(they dont squat) I will say though I think they are a bit excessive for everyday driving Id prefer them just for winter time, and something less aggressive in summer. They are also pretty squirrelly on the highway, which is the nature of the beast with tires like that.
I also run BFG AT's they are more of a summer tire if you ask me, but Im getting decent wear out of the set I got in January.
ProComps I hear alot of good from too, and they are well priced and come with a 50K mile warranty. They might be my next set.
I think you'd have a hard time getting more than 30K off a set of MTRs, but like someone else said Id rather replace tires than have to shovel myself out snowplowing.
Bill