PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Lower Ball Joints

DieselDavey
02-15-2009, 19:38
Am I missing something?

There is no Damned grease fitting on the lower ball joints on my Burb...

The passenger side lower ball joint boot is completely ruptured.

Its not making noise yet, but I imagine that it probably needs replacing.

Oh what fun!

Why oh why would they not put a grease fitting for the lower joints?

Is there a way to put a grease fitting on the new joints?

Thanks,

diesel65
02-15-2009, 19:58
With the front wheels turned full lock to the left, look at the the right side lower ball joint. Look between the axle joint and the lower control arm and you should see a notch in the control arm, that is where the grease fitting should be. The notch is to allow the nozzle of the grease gun access to the grease fitting.
Turn the front wheels full lock to the right to do the left ball joint.

When installing new ball joints, you need to align the grease fitting hole with the notch on the lwr control arm.

DieselDavey
02-15-2009, 20:15
Thanks again William!

I had the Burb up on ramps for an oil change, so I did not turn the wheels.

I'll get em greased tomorrow!

That damn fitting on top of the pitman arm is fun aint it? :)

I bought an air powered grease gun today. Trying to save any amount of cussing when I'm under this thing!

Thanks again!

diesel65
02-15-2009, 21:48
Its not that bad, it's fun when you got a intercooler in the way.

To grease the pitman arm and the idler arm, again turn the wheel full lock and do it from the front after removing the swing down panel.

I grease the front in two stages, if I start with the wheel full locked to the right I would do the left lwr BJ, left upr BJ, right inner and outer tie rod, Pitman arm. Then with the wheel full locked to the left then do the right lwr BJ, upr BJ, left side inner and outer tie rod, Idler arm, Idler arm pivot shaft and sometimes the slipjoint of the front drive shaft.

If you wanted to make it easier to get at the fittings on the pitman and idler arms, you can change the fittings to a right angle or 90 degrees.

DieselDavey
02-16-2009, 13:59
Hey William,

You've really helped me out on this one!

Last week you helped me out with the blower motor, this week with the grease.

Much appreciated!

Sounds like your method for greasing will make life much easier.

All the best,