PDA

View Full Version : Lift pump for the Deep North

KingNuzz
02-16-2009, 16:18
OK: How good is NAPA’s NFP P4070 electric lift pump? Anyone have experience with it? Know who makes it?

NFP P4070 Specs:
Fuel Pump Fitting Size[s] : 1/4" NPSF
Fuel Pump Gallons per Hour : 72
Fuel Pump Line Size : 3/8"
Fuel Pump Pressure Rating : 4 - 5.75 PSI

Back Story:

My Kennedy Diesel lift pump (magnetic centrifugal flow-through type), has suffered here in the deep north after performing flawlessly for 3 years in the Lower 48. A local mechanic suggested a more conventional pump for extreme cold durability – one he’s used here in Alaska on off road equipment. He's leery of 'high tech' stuff.

The truck gelled with a tankful of # 2 fuel early in the winter. I talked with Kennedy about the situation and he sent me a new rotor to replace the original rotor that had been damaged when the pump ran dry. The first shop put in the new rotor, changed main & frame- mounted fuel filters & replaced the fuel in the tank. - At least that’s what I paid for. The truck ran, but would take 3 tries to start and run steady. First 2 cranks the truck would run for a few seconds, stall, and I’d push the prime button on the controller. Then it would light.
Not sure whether the LP was working or the injection pump was drawing the fuel on its own. In December, I could get it to start by pushing the ‘prime’ button; temps in the 0s to +10s

Truck’s been parked for the coldest weeks but won’t start now (+ 15 F, block & oil pan heater + 50,000 BTU ‘weed burner in a stovepipe’ heater aimed up at the oil pan, blanket on hood). The lift pump runs (makes noise) but no fuel comes out the line just downstream of the pump.

What’s your experience been with the KD pump or others in cold weather? Other ideas?

I tried to post a pic but couldn't get it to work.
This link may, although it tends to time out.
http://catalog2.genpt.com/catviewer15/(3s3qef55npauq5f3dzsp1nj1)/Catalog/Detail.aspx?ShowPics=1&R=NFPP4070_0202261776

Thanks,

John

rustyk
02-16-2009, 20:45
I put the NAPA P74017 (probably the same as yours except for the fittings) in my motorhome; I can't tell you about its durability as it's been installed only 3 months.

I do have a AC Delco pump (EP158) with the flare fittings that's of no use to me if you want it cheap (cost to my RV's prior owner was ~$87, but it's yours $25 + shipping.