PDA

View Full Version : How??? Manual glow time & OBDII?

DennisG01
02-18-2009, 06:32
I am under the impression that a "push-button" manual glow timer would set a code when used with OBDII. Is that true? If so, is there any way to do it?

SmithvilleD posted this and if a code is not thrown, why wouldn't this work?:

--------------------------------------Does the PCM throw a code if the OEM glow plug relay is activated manually?

If that's a problem, couldn't you set up a separate relay to independently power the glow plugs with a push button?

I'd think the very common Ford starter relay would handle that amperage load OK. The same relay type that Robin suggested on the recent starter thread.----------------------------------------

joed
02-18-2009, 07:19
I believe the PCM will throw a code, probably P0380, if you manually turn on the glows after the PCM wants them off (with the key on).

One way around this is to manually activate the glows a few seconds before turning the key on - the PCM will then go through its normal glow cycle. I did this on my 98 and it worked well, no codes.

I used a heavy duty 'glow plug' relay from napa and set it to energize the normally 'cold' side of the OEM glow relay when I manually switched it on. I'm sure a ford type relay would also work and is probably cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Joe.

DennisG01
02-18-2009, 08:12
One way around this is to manually activate the glows a few seconds before turning the key on - the PCM will then go through its normal glow cycle. I did this on my 98 and it worked well, no codes.

Hmmmm... It never even crossed my mine to do this before the engine was on (or the key, as you said)! That would be better since it would help the actual starting of the engine. :D

Couldn't I just wire a normal relay to that "cold side" along with a push button? Or, is that all these "Ford relays" are. I mean, as long as the relay is rated for about 120amps, right? I'm curious about why "Ford relays" keep popping up in various conversations? Or, is just that they are easy and cheap to get?

SmithvilleD
02-18-2009, 10:52
The Ford starter solenoids to be widely available, reasonably cheap, and very reliable.

simon
02-19-2009, 09:05
Anny normally open relay with at least 1/4" studs will work just fine.