PDA

View Full Version : Help with GCVWR for a '94

lfytsmith
02-20-2009, 20:41
Hello All,
I have been reading TDP for 5 years now. The advise located in these threads have been a great help. THANK YOU. I am asking for help to locate the GCVWR for my truck. I am buying a new 5th wheel and don't want to break my truck. It is a '94 c2500 HD ext. cab, long bed Siverado, 3.73 gears. My online searches have not turned up anything. GVWR of 8600, GAWR FRT 3800/GAWR RR 6000 is all I have on the door panel.

Thanks

MacDR50
02-22-2009, 15:24
You can get pre-1999 ratings from Trailerlife.com but you have to email for the booklet and pay a small amount.

Mark Rinker
02-23-2009, 07:07
GCWR aside, based on experiences with the '94 K2500 truck and its drivetrain, I wouldn't tow more than 8K# of trailer over any great distance, or touring through the mountains. Up to 10K# trailer would be okay for shorter flatland use.

Just my opinion. Obviously people tow lots more with older 6.5L, but after owning two '94s that both broke crankshafts, I attribute it to alot of heavy towing stress. You have all the right mods to keep the truck cool and pulling well, but you can't overcome the inherent problems of block web cracks, and you already have some miles on the truck...why overload it now? The results will be predicatable if you do.

What do you plan to do for suspension upgrades? A fresh set of leaf springs might be in order...and/or a set of Timbrens I am a fan of those for towing.

arveetek
02-23-2009, 09:46
For what it's worth, I have a Trailer Life tow rating book, but it only goes back to 1997. In 97 through 99 models, a C2500 with a 6.5L TD and 4.10 gears had a trailer tow rating of 8500 lbs. It doesn't list a rating for a truck with a 3.73 axle.

Casey

lfytsmith
02-23-2009, 17:43
What do you plan to do for suspension upgrades? A fresh set of leaf springs might be in order...and/or a set of Timbrens I am a fan of those for towing.

Mark, I had not considered any upgrades. The previous owner had a 30ft 5th and I haul a 6K# TT now and have not had any issues since adding mods to the truck. Does anyone know of overload springs for this truck, or adding a leaf?

Thank all of you for your input. This was a totally stock truck until I started reading TDP. Now, no more black smoke just, Fords in the rearview.

Mark Rinker
02-24-2009, 07:21
My advice on what to do with your rear suspension would have alot to do with the pin weight and how much you intend to tow.

Buy the trailer, first. Then get a scale ticket showing truck alone axle weights, and a second scale ticket with truck and trailer axle weights.

From there, examining the condition of what you have is key. If the rear springs have little side to side play after the miles/use, then a simple set of timbrens might be fine to help carry more pin weight. If you have significant sag, or endplay from worn bushings, a set of new re-arched springs might be in order...

Get the truck up on a hoist with the wheels hanging. That is the best way to see what condition your rear bushings are in.

lfytsmith
02-25-2009, 18:02
Mark,
Thank for your advise. I will do as you suggest. The previous owner did tow a 5th, but he would only tow twice a year, snow bird to Florida. I am changing brake pads before I start towing, so I will check the spring bushings at that time. Again, thanks for all who responded.