PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate steering shaft.

DickWells
02-23-2009, 12:43
OK, I think it's about time. I'm finally sick enough of that rattle in the steering to start asking questions. I've read the TSB on this in the DP DM 6600 Vol. II, page 123. I haven't asked a Stealer about it yet, cuz at 96K miles, I expect that any help from GM won't be forthcoming. Besides, I'll get better and quicker answers in TDP.
Anybody in here changed their own? Do you have to remove half the front of the truck to change it? Why did I never get a TSB in the mail on this?
My Helm manuals are back in VT, so that's why I can't talk more inteligently about this. Nothing Earth shaking, just getting a little annoyed with that little rattle.
Thanks for any input you can give me.
Dick Wells:)

madmatt
02-23-2009, 20:05
got 10 minutes and a 15mm wrench??? GM doesn't send out TSB notifications only special policy and recall notices. Just get your wheels straight, find where the shaft comes out of the firewall and follow it down to where that shaft connects to the lower shaft. Take the 15mm nut off, remove the bolt and seperate the shaft careful not to rotate it much. Get under the dash, and find where the shaft comes through and connects to the upper shaft, remove 15mm bolt (or nut,, can't remember), seperate the shafts and finess it out of there. you can turn the shaft a little if need be bu make sure you line it up the way it came out and turn it no more then 1/4 of a turn. Reverse procedure and your good to go.

LJ
02-26-2009, 13:48
Does anyone know if you have to get the replacement shaft at GM, or if there's a better aftermarket replacement available?

opto
02-26-2009, 23:32
www.borgeson.com

available at for example www.summitracing.com

DickWells
02-27-2009, 07:55
Thanks for the come-backs, I'll be checking these things out.
Dick:)

JohnnyR
02-27-2009, 14:58
Have you tried "exercising" the intermediate shaft? Do a search here and you will dind it. All you do is remove the bolt (15MM socket) under the hood that holds it in place. Separate it and push/exercise the shaft up and down which redistributes the grease, assuming it's not all gone. Worked for me other than being hard to reach from the top. If I do again, will try to access from underneath the truck.

chadc30
03-01-2009, 23:27
After the dealer "grease fix" started to rattle again I purchased a borgeson shaft and have had no trouble for over 25k.

DickWells
03-03-2009, 17:36
I took the bull by the horns and ordered one up on EBay. It's $73.90, shipping included. Supposed to be the latest upgrade replacement. Will it be as good as the $200 part? Time will tell.
Wish me luck.

DickWells
03-12-2009, 11:57
Just installed the new steering shaft this morning. Rattle is gone! Now, lets hope that it holds up. A two-flat inner shaft with a slot for a limit screw, down the center of one side , as opposed to the old circular one, with splines. Interesting that you can't feel the slop in the old one in your hands, like you'd think. Needs to have the hard, mechnical hook up to replicate the rattle. For $73.90 PP, it's a bargain, compared to the dealer, especially if it lasts. Got it on Ebay from a place called 1A. Part looks fully as rugged as the orriginal.