PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade 6.5Turbo

AlmostfastLT1
02-23-2009, 13:00
My dad has a 1999 gmc 2500 suburban and is thinking about upgrading to a more efficient turbo. We are going to be running 12psi with the dsg chip. I installed all new exhuast, crossover pipe, turbo technoloy intercooler, pmd fsd upgrade etc... We just want a better flowing turbo and keep it regulated at 12psi just have it being more efficient than the stock garret one... The stock one falls on its face in the high rpms. Any ideas, hx 35w... Will it fit the 3in vband style clamps, etc...

Let me know if anyone has some good information.

Thanks Mark Tisdale

THEFERMANATOR
02-23-2009, 15:51
Stock turbo is not a garret, but a borg warner turbo. Your 99 should be a GM-8 and is the best of the stock turbos. The CUMMINS HX and HY's are a bit much turbo for a stock 6.5 with high compression. A few out there are running it with 18:1 compression and are happy with it. On one of the other sites there is a member selling a non wastegated turbo that is having EXCELLENT results with it.

DaveBr
02-23-2009, 18:21
You don't need to change your turbo to get 12 psi boost. You just need to get some control over the waste gate. A boost fooler from Kennedy should help you with that. The GM-8 will work well with the set up you have.

AlmostfastLT1
02-23-2009, 23:05
You don't need to change your turbo to get 12 psi boost. You just need to get some control over the waste gate. A boost fooler from Kennedy should help you with that. The GM-8 will work well with the set up you have.

I am running 12psi with the new chip to keep it safe, I know I don't need a different turbo to achive the 12psi the computer allows the wastegate to adjust. I just want a more efficent turbo, a better efficiency range. A better spooling and able to flow more efficiency at higher rpms without falling off as much as the stock unit. I would regulate psi to 12 even with the new turbo to keep it safe without dropping compression from 21.3 to 18.5... Just I know the more efficient turbo would perform better at higher rpms which the stock one falls short.

More Power
02-24-2009, 00:03
You should be able to adjust the wastegate actuator on an HX-35 to get a 12-psi max. The downside is that a bolt-on exhaust housing that matches the 6.5 downpipe is still a ways off.

Those who run a non-wastegated turbo on a 6.2/6.5 (I did for a few years) know they aren't the best for suburban driving or while in heavy traffic. A non-wastegated turbo that is efficient at high rpms can't be all that responsive down low. However, they work fine for a puller that spends most of its time on the highway.

Jim

THEFERMANATOR
02-24-2009, 16:11
I don't know what the rules are here regarding posting links, so I won't until I know them. I will reccomend that you go to GOOGLE.com and search for "A TEAM TURBO" in quotations and do some reading at the first couple of links. Many out there are breaking convention and having great success. The HOLSET has been found to be VERY inefficient at the lower boost levels, so this is where the recent R&D has come from.

93_Burrito
02-24-2009, 17:37
THEFERMANATOR,

One of the guys pushing the A-Team Turbo is a member here. That's tbogemirep, who goes by TurbineDoc on the other forums. Looks like he hasn't logged in here since August '08...

SmithvilleD
02-24-2009, 18:36
If you want to invest a bit of time learning about turbo's, I would highly recommend getting a copy of "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It's one of the best resources I've found on the subject. It's written from a perspective w/ both a solid understanding of the science/physics of turbocharger theory & lots of practical experience.

The diesel forums are a great resource for sharing info & experiences with a given setup. Arming yourself with some relatively unbiased turbo knowledge will help you get the most from all the info out there.

THEFERMANATOR
02-24-2009, 21:06
I'm familiar with TD, didn't know his name here though. I just know that him and several others have had EXCELLENT reports about it, and TD is so happy with it's performance he is removing his intercooler since he no longer needs it to lower his IAT. As well as some impressive MPG increases. HEATH is also working with one of TD's prototypes and hoping to have a better tune soon to work with it and maybe market his own from some that I have read.

midniteplowboyy
02-26-2009, 19:44
There was a guy building downpipes for the holset turbo's over at the "place". His user name is chicagotdp ,IIRC. He built mine, it fit good.

AlmostfastLT1
02-27-2009, 11:52
appriciate some info, keep the flow coming...