PDA

View Full Version : Reese Under-bed Brackets Install

MacDR50
02-23-2009, 13:11
Well I did the install myself. Ten hours, a few sailors' prayers (@$#%%^&) and one skinned knuckle. I had access to a truck lift and all the tools and a video from etrailer.com. If I had to do it again I could cut the time in half. What I learned?

1. Lift the frame and remove rear wheels (safety jacks of course). The extra room makes things easier.
2. Cut the heat shield and then remove the retaining screws for the piece that will be discarded.
3. Loosen the box and lift it enough to get 2 1/2 - 3 inches of gap over the frame from the gas tank to the axle.
4. Use a tap to chase the threads in the ends of the bracket rails. There isn't enough room to do this once the rails are in place and it was hard getting the bolts started.
5. Once you mark through the rails using the pointed bolt supplied with the kit for the 2 1/2 inch holes that will be drilled in the box, drill up into the plastic bed liner before you remove it. These are the reference points for laying out the cutouts in the bed liner.
6. Pull the front driver side bolt through the frame before putting the side bracket so you have room to twist the bolt though the elongated hole in frame.

Ric
02-25-2009, 15:08
do you have any pics of the chore?

MacDR50
02-26-2009, 16:34
Sorry no. I thought about it after. The etrailer video is good and shows the additional steps if you have the factory brake controller.