PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Conversion

Freightliner3
02-25-2009, 12:59
I have a 2005 Dmax Crew Cab with the power extension mirrors.There is an article on the Diesel Page about converting to 2006 mirrors.I pull a 24ft gooseneck and the original mirrors are useless on right turns.I'm spoiled.I drive big rigs with proper mirrors that allow you to drive the trailer around right turns correctly and see behind the trailer.
But not so with my pickup. Can anyone tell me if the new style (2006) mirrors will correct this problem.
Thanks!

LJ
02-26-2009, 13:52
GM ought to be kicked in the rear for ever putting those mirrors on a truck! I also have a 2005 Crew Cab and hate the right side mirror. Can anyone help us???

cowboywildbill
02-27-2009, 03:34
I have an 07 classic and I run the TTT mirrors. They are great and even better than the factory/new towing style that came our truck.

TJNE
03-01-2009, 13:51
I have 07 classic, which from what I understand is the same body as the 06. I have power/heated towing mirrors ordered from Fenderworld.com ($261.00 set, free shipping) They are exact OEM replacement made by Kool-Vue. I should have them end of the week, I will post my opinion when I have them on and tow my 5th wheel. From what I understand they are on a national back order with all the suppliers, I hope this is a good indicator that they are popular and a good buy.

ToddMeister
03-02-2009, 06:28
The 2006 GM mirrors will definitely help in your situation. There are also other aftermarket TTT mirrors available which might be a further improvement.

I'm satisfied with the 2006 GM TTT mirrors on my truck.

Here is a link to the Schefenacker TTT mirrors:

http://www.visiocorp.com/pages/products/mirrors/trailer-tow-mirrors.php

Lucerix Mirrors:

http://www.lucerix.com/products.html

I have a 2005 Dmax Crew Cab with the power extension mirrors.There is an article on the Diesel Page about converting to 2006 mirrors.I pull a 24ft gooseneck and the original mirrors are useless on right turns.I'm spoiled.I drive big rigs with proper mirrors that allow you to drive the trailer around right turns correctly and see behind the trailer.
But not so with my pickup. Can anyone tell me if the new style (2006) mirrors will correct this problem.
Thanks!

Kennedy
03-02-2009, 12:41
The 2006 OE towing mirrors (crooked mirrors as I call them as the mounting plates are off) may be an improvement, but not much. I find the lower convex glass to be too short and wide and the upper flat glass is too tall and narrow. Also, the over/under design is distracting and adds to much vertical blind area.

Once you have driven with the TTT's you'll be a believer...

There was also a product review here back a couple years old with details.

bl78ljb
03-03-2009, 06:36
While on this topic, I have a friend with an '05 dmax dually considering the change to the '06 mirrors as he doesn't like using any aftermarket parts. However, his wife was wondering if the new mirrors would have the same autodimming function of the current power extending mirrors on their truck. From what I could find it didn't seem to be an option on the towing mirrors for '06 but I figured I'd ask those more knowledgeable.