PDA

View Full Version : diesel swap F150

Curtis Mittong
03-01-2009, 00:43
I'm considering a diesel swap into my truck. I tried really hard to find a diesel truck to start with, but the purchase cost was just out of my reach this time. Instead I bought a 1998 F150 4x4. I'm a hot rodder by trade, so I figured I could "upgrade" to diesel as time and money permitted instead of buying a wasted diesel for a larger upfront cost. This is a daily driver/haul rig, so the focus should be on the following:

-Reliability
-Parts availability
-The potential for 250-300hp without going nuts on mods
-Enough displacement that I can make torque for towing up to 8000 lbs with ease
-mechanical injection for VO/bio compatibility (or a proven electronic diesel that plays well with those fuels)

My first thought was a 4BT, but others who have tried this with a 4x4 F150 have run into lots of physical fitment issues with the transfer case/crossmember.

My second thought was a Duramax, but it doesn't like the VO fuel and its a bit overkill.

My third thought was something a bit more obscure like an MWM diesel. They are basically the Brazilian counterpart for Navistar and they make great diesels, but the parts availability hasn't improved here in the states like I had hoped.

Ideas? If you were going to outfit your gas truck for daily driver/tow duty, what diesel would you put in it?

More Power
03-03-2009, 00:04
A 7.3L PSD would likely be among the easier swaps if you want as much electrical/drivetrain compatibility as possible, but I think the PSD would be a bit heavy for the F150 front suspension. I'd bet someone has done it.

Staying with the gas engine may be the best choice from a purely economic standpoint. Or trade for a diesel driver of some sort.

Jim

Curtis Mittong
03-03-2009, 11:50
Very true on the money investment thing, but I'm one of those mentally ill hot rodders. :) I'd rather buy a $4000 gas truck and spend $4000 converting it than spend $8000 on a diesel truck :)

I thought about the 7.3, but its just overkill on weight and displacement. I was thinking of something like a tweaked 4BT but they just aren't practical with all the fitment issues in a 4wd. Lots of 2wd swaps have been done, but the transfer case, steering, crossmember, etc all get in the way.

6.5TD Burb
03-10-2009, 09:18
Easiest way around the trans/xfer case is probably a 2wd transmission and divorced xfer case setup. F150 "7700" or LD F250 torsion bars may help with the weight handling. Either way, you're looking at some serious mods and fabbing.