PDA

View Full Version : Starter mystery

tankertoad
03-02-2009, 17:56
Bought '95 Chevy 'Burb last week,6.5TD, auto and drove it on and off my trailer and into my 'shop' without a hint of a problem. PO said it had been 'overheating' but still drove fine. I drained rad and refilled with water and antifreeze mix, replaced thermostat and gasket, radiator cap and did an oil change plus filter. Went to move it this PM and all 'hell' broke loose. The starter sounds as if it is gnawing teeth off the flexplate! Starter doesn't feel loose or anything and has been replaced in the not too distant past. Any ideas, suggestions as to possible gremlins? This thing started fine at least 6 times in my shop, and sat there and idled for at least 20 minutes? Thanks in advance, John.

convert2diesel
03-02-2009, 20:48
The starter actually did gnaw a hole in your flex plate. These engines tend to stop in one of two locations thus the starter wears away a section over time. You were just lucky the last 6 times. Use a socket on the alternator nut and turn the engine over a few inches and you will be fine. Just had to do mine, and a 2 inch section of teeth were ground out. Drove it that way for two months. Just kept a ratchet and socket in the car for the crunchy times.

Bill

tankertoad
03-03-2009, 20:04
Thanks for the rapid reply and the very useful info. Now to figure out the overheating problem. Thanks, John.:)

clank
07-08-2009, 19:11
No problems for 2 years, now second time in 2 months. What are the ods. Does anyone happen to know the size of the alternator nut socket. I have to go rescue my 97 Yukon sitting in a parking lot after turning the key and hearing a huge grinding sound. I need to go and turn the engine over past the flat spot to get it started.Thx.

rustyk
07-08-2009, 20:02
The first thing is to determine if the engine is actually overheating; an IR thermometer is a great tool for this.

I had two vehicles over the years that gave me fits, until I figured out the issue was the temp sender, not anything else.

However, on my E350 diesel, I did get a cup of crud out of the block enroute to getting its temp issue solved. One of my mechanic friends suggested blowing the crud out with air, and was more effective than waterjet.

I use only distilled water since the '60s, as back then I owned an M-B and turned wrenches on a few; the water pump impeller was aluminum, and tap water would eat 'em up.