PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used 6.5L to replace my 6.2L. A lot of ??'s

Mikey von
03-03-2009, 10:23
I am talking with a guy from craigslist that has a 1994 6.5L TD he is willing to part with for $400 (I have offered $300, he was asking $500). He is including all accessories and exhaust.

It has a bad head gasket. This is what he said about it "It didn't overheat, but it started getting exhaust in the coolant (no coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant). They decided to park it until they could get it fixed. I bought it for the transmission."

I am looking at around $200 for the head gaskets and head studs correct?

Anything else I would have to worry about with this?

Would a turbo'd 6.5L be a upgrade over a turbo'd 6.2?

Would the exhaust work on my 1989 suburban? His truck is a 1994 regular cab long bed. Would it take a lot to make it work?

My 6.2 needs a head gasket, possible heads (it overheated), flexplate, starter, and hopefully nothing more. I have a banks kit (missing crossover) in my garage, but would also need to have my exhaust done.

I have a serious time and $$$ crunch. I have some money but not a whole lot. I need to have a running truck by April, as I am having ankle surgery and that will make it hard to walk the 3 mile round trip I walk to work. We only have one car right now and that will be hard with both my wife and I working and 2 kids going to daycare and school.

Any thoughts on which way to go?

More Power
03-04-2009, 22:50
The 6.5 factory turbo system won't work for your Suburban. There'll be an interference problem with the A/C components mounted to the firewall and the turbo exhaust housing points straight down at the frame rail. A couple have done it, but said they wouldn't do it again.

If you have a Banks 6.2 turbo system, it'll work fine on a 6.5.

For about $100 or less, you can install new Fel-Pro head gaskets and new Fel-Pro head bolts.

Jim

Mikey von
03-09-2009, 21:20
I will be staying with my 6.2L. I am pulling it soon (new thread time).