PDA

View Full Version : Saddle tank?

DickWells
03-04-2009, 10:37
Does anyone make a metal or plastic tank for (preferably) the left bed-side in front and over the wheel well. I'd preffer plastic, too. I come up with a minimum of 22 gallons capacity without encroaching on any useable area.
Dick Wells:)

DmaxMaverick
03-04-2009, 11:51
There are a couple suppliers. Transferflow (.com) is one. Throw in your wallet!

Mark Rinker
03-05-2009, 08:19
No kidding.

Every time I think that a larger auxiliary tank is in my future, the price drives me back to the rationalization of "...an extra stops per day for fuel isn't that bad...I always fill up in the morning before heading out, anyway..."

Would be great to have 80 gallons on board, however!

DickWells
03-05-2009, 11:27
Maybe I'll just wait till I get back to the Hills and weld up my own. Make that wire-feed welder that I gave our Son pay for itself, at least a little.
Don't have much use for any equipement that we haven't modified anyway!:DNever have built my own fuel tank, before.
Thanks, guys.
Dick :)

cowboywildbill
03-07-2009, 16:19
Be careful when if you build a tank. I purchased a 50 gallon tank that fits across the front of the bed. I got it at Tractor supply. I was going to put a pump and transfer valve and plumb it into the fill to my stock fuel tank. Then I read the Federal laws concerning plumbing an auxillary tank into the trucks fuel system. It has to be certified and have a certified tag on the tank and so forth. A special cert for being plumbed into the fuel system. My tank wasn't certified to tie into the system just tagged to haul and hold fuel. The fines and penalties were so severe if you get caught that I couldn't believe it. They can confiscate your vehicle just like in a major Drug bust. I decided to just put the pump and external fill hose with an auto shut off nozzle on the tank and just fill my trucks tank via the filler neck just like at the pump. I could have bought a certified tank to plumb in, but that cost about another $600 to $800. I don't know if they would ever check, but if you had a wreck they might ? They did stop a friend of mine in his 3/4 ton Dodge and dip his tank for dyed fuel not to long ago. He was only pulling a two axel flatbed trailer.
He was legal but surprised just to say the least.

Mark Rinker
03-07-2009, 16:32
We have used similar transfer tanks to fuel skidsteers and plow trucks over the years. Always used road diesel to avoid the issue of dyed offroad finding its way into the trucks. Dipping of truck tanks to check for red dyed fuel is fairly commonplace around here, especially if you have a transfer tank.

You can file paperwork with the state to get your fuel tax refund after the fact, if you keep good records of the gallons used in off-road work, i.e. snow plowing.

cowboywildbill
03-10-2009, 05:10
Yep I always run road diesel in my extra tank also. I fuel our farm equipment with it also. I just eat the extra tax. They won't deliver off road to the farms anymore in Md., just reg diesel. So I just buy road diesel at a clean high volume station when the price good. We don't have to worry as much about stale fuel and moisture as much. We rotate it into the truck and then refill the tank in the bed . I know the fines are stiff for running off road in a vehicle on the hwy, but I still can't beleive how severe the penalties are for tying into your fuel system even if you are running road fuel.

DickWells
03-10-2009, 19:35
Dog-gone! Never even occured to me that I couldn't plumb up my own tank! Thanks. Glad I don't really need it. Maybe the answer is to just spring for the larger after-market tank to replace the stock tank. Think they're about 52 gallons, IIRC.
DW

cowboywildbill
03-11-2009, 07:26
I'm sure you could build a sturdy safe unit with all of the vents and such, Although I would be scared of the feds. I would imagine there is a process to have a homemade tank certified, but I wouldn't know where to start. Always red tape. There are some great aftermarket ones out there. Good luck.

DickWells
03-11-2009, 18:23
Thanks again. I'd rather avoid any hassle. Better to go by the law, even though it makes little sense, sometimes.
DW:)