PDA

View Full Version : Is This Accurate ?

chambie
03-05-2009, 11:25
Stopped at the dealership today to have a leaking trans. cooler line repaired. Asked them about changing all the fluids and filters from front to rear, to synthetic, and give me a quote. They came up with $850.00 That includes both diffs, transfer case,flushed & refilled tranny, and engine. Also repairng the cooler line. Sounds like alot, but i'm not sure.... anyone have the same work done ? Is the quote close ?
Thanks,
Lindsay

More Power
03-05-2009, 11:50
The front & rear diffs came with synthetic from the factory. You'll need about 24-25 qts of ATF to flush/fill the transfer case and trans.

The quote sounds a bit high....

Jim

chambie
03-05-2009, 12:56
Do you think it's alot high, or a lil high ? I assume labor rates are mid 60's an hour. And i have no idea what the price of all the filters would be, or how much the synth fluids are.
Thanks,
Lindsay

More Power
03-05-2009, 13:28
Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic diesel-rated 5W-40 runs about $150 for a case of 4 gallons. Each service requires 10 qts, plus a couple to carry with you while traveling.

Searching Google produced:

Shopping results for cost of synthetic ATF
Red Line Synthetic ATF, Dexron II, Quart $9.99 - Pegasus Auto Racing ...
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF / Automatic Transmission ... $10.79 - Modern Automotive ...

Just for the ATF, you're looking at ~$250.

Shopping results for cost of synthetic Mobil 1 75w90 Gear Lube -
1 Qt ... $13.95 - Dudiak Racing Products
1 Qt $12.99 - MotoDelta Motorsport
1 Qt ... $13.95 - Performance Racing ...

You'll need about 10 qts IIRC...

Of course, this is for Mobil synthetics. There are other good ones out there. Some like Amsoil, Shell and Royal Purple.

So..... it looks like about $530 just for the syn oil/lubes + filters + labor (if you don't do it yourself).

Jim

DmaxMaverick
03-05-2009, 13:39
The labor rate is probably closer to $100/hr at the dealer. Still, the quote is about double what it should be, even at a dealership. You can do a LOT better having it done by a local shop, tranny service shop, or yourself. GM will charge double (and more) for the fluids, than what you can get them for. These changes are very easy. So, unless you are completely incapable of removing a child proof cap from a pill bottle, just do it yourself (at least a dozen TDP members will jump in to advise, if necessary). Or, the next best thing, would have an experienced/credible independent shop do it, after you collect the fluids/filters you need. You should be able to do it for $300 or less, including their labor. The complete job should take about 2 hours, if it's your first time, and you take your time. An equipped shop can do it all in less than an hour.

chambie
03-05-2009, 13:50
Great...... thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.
Lindsay

Mark Rinker
03-05-2009, 14:50
The huge cost for the full, with synthetic transmission service, is what keeps us using conventional ATF (III) and doing frequent ~7 quart drain and fills with the spin-on filter.

At the beginning of each plowing season, we go through front/rear diffs, transfer cases in preparation for harsh use, similar to what was requested here.

Transmission drain and fills are done every other oil change interval.

Heartbeat Hauler
03-05-2009, 18:02
Just had all the fluids in my wife's 2500 Sub 4x4 6.0L done at the dealer a week ago, which included engine oil, trans-service, front/rear diff., transfer case plus a brake flush and power steering flush: total $915.00.

Your price sounds about right.
JP