PDA

View Full Version : Automatic door locks for the oldies

Subzilla
03-05-2009, 13:44
A couple of years ago, I installed an aftermarket door lock kit w/ keyless entry on my '83 Sub. This is a Swiss made kit and came recommended by a friend. Website really tauted how hardy the actuators are. Worked really well for a year or so. THEN, the back door actuators made a locking/unlocking noise but couldn't move the door locks enough to lock/unlock them. Seller said to recheck alignment/wiring. I checked and realigned a couple of times per instructions but they still didn't work, gave up on those.

Sometime later, the passenger door actuator started making grinding noise and couldn't lock/unlock door. Wore out, it appears. Sent it back and seller did replace it. Now, driver's door is grinding away and not working! It's probably been too long and I'm guessing seller may claim "out of warranty period".

The keyless part worked really well, it's just the actuators that can't seem to do the job. Or my Suburban door lock mechanisms are super heavy duty!?!

:confused:Any recommendations or experience out there for replacement actuators or kits? Never explored a factory door lock actuator but I'm wondering if a factory lock could be "wired" into the aftermarket wiring.

My Blazer is 23 years old and the factory door locks work like new. Never, never understood why all Suburbans, especially ones with the Silverado package, wouldn't come with factory automatic door locks! Had an '84 2-door S10 Blazer with auto locks and could easily reach across to the passenger side and hit the door lock. Why auto door locks on the Blazer and not a 4 door, much bigger Sub???

arveetek
03-11-2009, 09:12
I have a Bullydog keyless entry system on my '81. It's an aftermarket kit designed for use with factory electric locks. My truck didn't have electric locks, so I just swapped in complete fully electric doors from a donor vehicle. My keyless entry has worked great for probably 8 or 9 years with the factory stuff. It came with good instructions showing you how to tap into the various factory wiring setups.

I'd just grab some factory actuators from a donor/junk vehicle if you can find them.

Casey