PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the 6.5 engine

turbovair
10-22-2003, 20:22
Can anyone suggest a good method for cleaning the 6.5 to include the buildup on the IP and in the valley/intake manifold? I am concerned about any posssible water/solvent damage to electrical components related to fuel system.

catmandoo
10-23-2003, 04:40
thats a good question i too would like to clean the engine compartment ,recently took out the front seal in the ps pump and it blew oil all over now its one big dust magnet, i know years ago on the 5.7 that they said don't get water in the glow plug controller so we would unplug it and cover it with a plastic bag also the engine was not to be hot whatsoever,i think this had more to do with the pump than anything.after powerwashing we just let em set a day or so to dry out.

gmctd
10-23-2003, 08:34
Get about four cans of Autozone's Engine Cleaner (in the white cans).

Spray cool engine down liberally, let it soak for about 15 minutes.
Won't hurt electrical connections or alternator.
Late '80s - '90s glow plug controller is fairly well sealed, but you can cover it if you wish.

Hook your water hose to the bottom spigot on the water heater in your garage, screw on the spray nozzle.
Spray water til it's hot at the nozzle, then flush the engine down thouroghly.

All the goop will turn white as it flushes down and across your drivesay - won't upset the neighbors.

Crank the engine and let it warm up to evaporate the water.

Why Autozone's cleaner? Doesn't have after-odor like 'G--k' brand - mechanics love odor, ladies hate stink.

jd

billg
10-23-2003, 09:07
I

HowieE
10-23-2003, 09:53
I have a hot water hose tap on the side of the house and use Simple Green on a regular basis on a warm engine. Don't forget to take the truck out for a spin just after you finish to dry off any water that may be in the valley.