PDA

View Full Version : pump bolts

DaveNY
03-08-2009, 14:54
I want to move the pump and take out a little advance. I have an S Gearwrench and other stuff that i can get to the bolts but cannot get enough swing out of the gearwrench to loosen the bottom one.
My Question is: How far am I going to dig to get the job done The wrench seems to be right up on the thermostat housing and no swing room.
Looking for Tips
Dave

Kennedy
03-08-2009, 16:42
About all I can say is that it's a pretty tight/tough place to work and I think you'll be better off with a rigid wrench down there.

simon
03-08-2009, 17:54
modefy a wrench or 2 to make it work.

Kennedy
03-09-2009, 06:03
I have the snap on 14-15 s wrench along with a boomerang shaped unit as well. I most often use the S wrench.

Yes, a vice, a torch, a hammer, vice grip etc and a cheap wrench can also help. You may want to lengthen the handle by cutting off the open end.

As for timing, I've been making some fine adjustments in my Chip tuning so we can have the good starts from decent idle timing, and the HP of the loaded timing, but backing off the light load timing where the rattle comes from.

Robyn
03-09-2009, 07:24
A trip to the parts house and a cheap wrench later along with a short blast from the torch.

Been there done that one myself.

The gear wrenches are cool but use too much room.

This is about the only way to do it without stepping up for the price of the special wrench.

best

RC

DaveNY
03-09-2009, 13:56
Thanks everyone! I'm going to work up the ambition to get going on moving the pump.It seems alot easier to sit on the couch and dream these little projects up as opposed to actually doing them!
ROBYN: hope you are feeling better?
Dave

john8662
03-09-2009, 20:18
I think that Matco makes a good wrench (as opposed to the snap-on ones) that fit this situation, as Kennedy mentioned above. If memory serves, they're cheaper than the competitor's ones.

I too own the boomerang and the S wrench, you indeed need BOTH, especially if Dual Stats are involved (great for engine cooling, miserable for the mechanic).

J

Nobby
03-10-2009, 08:11
Hey Dave,
I have a wrench made up and managed to do mine with it. Come on over, we can play on it together if you like.

Cheers
Nobby

DaveNY
03-10-2009, 15:29
Knobby,
Thanks I will take you up on that, Give you a call soon.
Dave