PDA

View Full Version : guages.

Wing Nut OOA
03-10-2009, 10:43
i was at my local parts house this morning asking about guages.

i went in to get a boost guage and a pillar mounted guage pod.

i decided on the single guage pod because the double is the same price as the triple and an exhaust temp guage is 300 Bills.

what is the significance of an exhaust temp guage?

i was going to go with boost, tranny oil temp, and exhaust temp.

boost guage was 50 to 60

tranny oil temp was 65 ish

and 292 for the pyrometer.

those are autometer.

i decided to go with the Equus boost guage at 33 dollars (they dont offer oil temp or pyrometer guages)

any suggestions?

is an exhaust temp guage important?

DaveBr
03-10-2009, 10:58
A pyro gauge is a must have if you plan on doing any mods to your engine. It tells you when it's time to lighten up the right foot. Without it you can/will damage your engine. You should be able to find a good pyro for cheaper than $300.00. Look at the advertisers on this page or check on line.

Dave

DennisG01
03-10-2009, 12:16
Pyro is probably the most important. Ditto above - can find them much less expensive. Try kennedydiesel.com (as mentioned, he's an advertiser). Personally I like having Boost, Tranny, EGT. Kennedy doesn't list a 3 gauge combo, but maybe he has one available if you ask. But, in order of importance (IMO) would be (1) EGT (2) Boost (3) Tranny.

trbankii
03-10-2009, 13:05
Actually, Kennedy does have the triple gauge mounts here (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults3.cfm?Category=7&SubCategory=102&SubCategory2=97)

He just doesn't offer a package of the mount and gauges with a triple.

JD4755
03-10-2009, 17:42
http://www.ssdieselsupply.com has 3 gauge packages boost, trans, egt, for under 400 bucks. Looking into getting one for my rig

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-10-2009, 19:51
e-bay is going to have the most variation in models and prices.

bl78ljb
03-10-2009, 20:18
Also, don't overlook the big performance parts suppliers Summit Racing and Jegs. Neither are supporter, but have been in the business a LONG time and have a great deal of selection. Not all diesel specific, so you have to read the specs more carefully to be sure you get what you need. I would also recommend Kennedy diesel as he only sells what he knows will work and he stands behind all of it.

suburbanK-2500HD
03-11-2009, 00:23
I WOULD AGREE, take some time and search around.

i bought mine from sweden EGT, BOOST, AND TRANNY TEMP.

140 USD.

:)

Wing Nut OOA
03-11-2009, 09:30
i'm assuming EGT is exhaust gas temperature?

anywho

the only mods right now are a cone filter hooked straight to the turbo and as soon as i find a 92-93 wastegate actuator i'll be installing my adjusting kit to that.

any pros or cons to the cone filter on the turbo?

also need to drill and tap a hole for my boost guage fitting. unless someone has a better idea of where to hook it.

DaveBr
03-11-2009, 11:08
EGT is exhaust gas temp. You don't say in your signature if you have upgraded your exhaust. This is a must fix. Where the turbo down pipe goes between the cab and frame has a factory crush in it that severely restricts the turbo's ability to get rid of exhaust. There is also a snorkel between the inner & outer fender that severley restricts air coming in. It lives between the inner & outer fender. Take it out. Between these 2 items your engine has a cronic case of asthema. If you deal with these 2 items you will notice a big power improvement. You don't need to go with a cone filter unless you are going "all the way". Save your bucks and get a good panel filter from J.K. My K&N lets silicate through. (not good)
Hope this helps

Dave

Wing Nut OOA
03-11-2009, 13:51
whoa whoa whoa

okay so what are silicates and how can i tell what filters will and wont let them through

i have a cheap cone filter i got from knechts for my jeep.

i was just going to stick it on the turbo.

and my sig pretty much explains the whole truck.

i'll have it back together and running tonight.

and i still need input on where people plumbed their boost guages to

DaveBr
03-11-2009, 17:34
If you go to Kennedy diesel's web site and click on tech tips then go to intake mods you will see the whole process. Including the filter you should buy. He is an advertiser on this site. If you run a cone filter direct off the turbo you will be sucking hot air from engine compartment into the turbo which will compress the air making it even hotter. This will raise egt's and rob you of H.P. The cooler the the more power you can make. You should take care of the exhaust and air before adding more boost. If you increase boost pressure you will need the EGT gauge.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-11-2009, 17:52
tiny pieces of schram that make their way through. but, i still use my K&N.

I drilled and tapped a quick disconnect into my plenum on the top, about 6 inches back from the turbo. Just wash it out after you have done the drilling.

Wing Nut OOA
03-12-2009, 09:01
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/668/filterj.jpg

the red arrow is about where i'm thinking of drilling for the farrel fitting to go. (obviously coming out the back instead of straight up and down :) )

so if i take that plastic snorkel thing out of the fender well (how?) it will flow just as much air as this cone filter?

and next to the red arrow i'm thinking of just getting a new rubber flex fab hose for between the turbo and intake.

any good place to get one? someone got a little silicone happy on this one.

daustin
03-12-2009, 10:05
Drilling there will work, i installed mine by drilling/tapping into the flat area in the top of the upper peunium. Also that cone filter you have, i'd seriously consider either getting a true cold air intake or putting the stock setup back on as what you have is a "hot air intake" and diesels don't like hot intake air. the most popular setup is the '97 up HD airbox with the huge round filter, that's what i put in my truck.
Don

Wing Nut OOA
03-12-2009, 10:38
ok looks like i'm ditching my cone filter. but it looks so cool!!!

DennisG01
03-12-2009, 12:10
Here's a good thread that deals with your air filter question:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23321&highlight=filter

Read through the whole thing, there's a good discussion (and some pics).

As a follow up to that thread, I still haven't noticed any downsides to where my filter is. EGT's and other data stayed the same in the towing tests I did. But I think if it was right on the turbo, I would see some problems. I think because mine is close to where the air enters from the fender, the incoming air "blows" away the heat. It should also be noted that I didn't see any noticeable differences in data between my filter set-up and the stock (97+).

Just my opinion, but your filter looks a little on the small side. However, it looks as though your cone is open on the inside, too. Mine is not. But, mine is about 11 or 12 inches long. The best way to see if your filter is sized correctly is to look up the model and see if it crosses to be used on a 6.5. Of course filtering capability is important, too. Just being able to "flow" enough air isn't all that's important.

Wing Nut OOA
03-12-2009, 15:05
well i think i'll end up running with it untill i can plumb it over to the fender well.

i'll work on the snorkel inside the fender tonight. should be driving it home in a few hours. YEY!

Wing Nut OOA
03-13-2009, 08:42
well no cone filter for me :(

my A/C lines wouldnt clear it.

bummer

so i put the stocker back on and the truck runs great.

i spent from 10pm to 11pm last night trying to get the lower radiator hose clamp on. mucho cursing later and trying to jimmy rig a set of pliers and vice grips and zip ties...my girlfriend found a big hose clamp.

sweet!

i hate those spring clamps.

fired right up on the first shot. everything is perfect.

slightly overfilled the power steering though.

i also hear a much more prominent whooshing when under boost and i dont hear any whistle at all like i did before i took it apart.

almost sounds like an air leak.

but all that aside it seems to be running great. no leaks other than maybe a drip here or there...but hey...its a diesel right?

how much boost do these trucks run stock?

the highest i could get my guage to go this morning was 5-6

and at an idle the needle cavitates back and forth quickly. i don't see it hurting anything but the guage. just would like to know if everything sounds normal.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-13-2009, 08:57
ya, that boost is pretty much stock. it's not much, but it does make a big difference as opposed to no turbo.

Check your crossover pipe. If you are putting it back on and it isn't nice and clean, it can easily cause a leak. ;)

What gauge are you meaning? The boost gauge? How much fluctuation are you getting at idle? Is all your connections good?

Wing Nut OOA
03-13-2009, 09:21
the whooshing i'm getting i'm 100% sure its not an exhaust leak.

those sound way different.

it just sounds like rushing air. its just absent of the whistle from the turbo.

i'm sure its fine. just sounds different.

the connections on my boost guage are fine.

the cavitating of the needle isnt slow its a vibration almost.

it only moves back and forth about 1/16 to 1/8 inch and is so fast it just makes the needle look fuzzy.

as soon as i touch the gas or if the idle goes up even the slightest amount, it steadies out.

Wing Nut OOA
03-13-2009, 11:55
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/8872/noname.jpg

got the flush finished.

cleaned up all the crap off the hood (it was sitting outside)

everything seems to be on the up and up.

need to do a tranny service though.

DaveBr
03-13-2009, 14:07
My boost gauge stays steady - no fluctuation as you describe. It lays on 0 at an idle like a dead cow in a field. Your boost #'s are normal for stock. Get that exhaust upgraded and you will notice a big dif in power. I wouldn't increase boost untill this is done. Stock exhaust can't get rid of exhaust gas fast enough under normal conditions. I would also recommend a good fuel additive. One with C-tane booster, Inj. cleaner & lube. You will notice mileage increase & a bit more pull under power. The fluctuation you see may be caused from a malfunctioning CDR located on your valve cover and plugging into your air intake just before the turbo.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-14-2009, 22:26
i wouldn't worry to much about the needle moving. my gauge does the same thing. so far so good.

not much help on the whooshing sound :D not really sure what it would be