PDA

View Full Version : truck only knows idle and wide open

negativedegreeak1
03-10-2009, 17:57
you start the truck it idles and warms up normal. you hit the gas it goes wide open and stays there until you hit the throtle again, than it goes back to idle. even though it is lots of fun doing burn out every time you take off, I would like to try and fix this problem. the truck is a 96 chevy k3500 with the turbo 6.5l, with a auto trans. it is completle stock nothing has ever been done to it. any ideas

JohnC
03-10-2009, 18:00
Get the codes read. Is the SES light on?

negativedegreeak1
03-10-2009, 18:04
no lights no codes

JohnC
03-11-2009, 11:51
no codes

Hard to believe. That would mean the PCM thinks the RPM is as desired. Better get a scanner on there and see what's going on.

Kennedy
03-11-2009, 12:58
I've seen/heard this many times to varying degrees. All manner of parts thrown at it resulted in nothing until the pump was changed. Apparently something in the pump delivery gets sticky. Good reason to use good additive like FPPF Total Power.

There is an underlying possibility that it is PMD, but so long as you are not leaving out any other symptoms or pre-existing conditions, I'd say pump.

Never have had a chance to autopsy one of these, but I'd be interested to see what is going on inside. We have a pretty fair price on brand new pumps if interested, and would appreciate the core for diagnostic purposes.

negativedegreeak1
03-13-2009, 02:11
so if something might be sticking in the pump do you think runing a go additive through it might brake it free. thinkin put additive in, let truck idle all day? the truck was bought this way (fun drive home,burn out at every red light), don't know of any perexesting problems.

Cowracer
03-13-2009, 06:36
The endplate broke of the armature in the Fuel Solenoid. Had this happen, made for an intersting drive home.

No fix but a new I.P. unless you got the mondo test setup from stanadyne to properly replace the fuel sol. No amounts of additives will reattach the plate.

Sorry for the bad news but its not that bad. Changing the pump is not too challenging.

Read http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=25011

Robyn
03-13-2009, 07:28
I have seen one (1) PMD that caused a similar situation.
The rig would fire off scream and then die after the ECM detected the overspeed and tripped the shutdown solenoid.
Resetting the ignition along with a restart would see the same results but no idle at all, just on or off.

Fuel solenoid likely the issue, I agree.

Trying a PMD change quickly would not harm anything though and there is the off chance that it may fix it.

Easy diagnostic procedure for sure.

Best

RC