PDA

View Full Version : Truck is dead.....wont start now

Kmehr
03-11-2009, 11:09
SO i know stalling has been beat to death on this forum, but my truck has been dying on me intermittently for the last 4 months or so but always starts right back up very easily. Yesterday it died and will not start up again. I have my pmd remote mounted with a FSD cooler, however one of the coolant hoses for my veggie kit sits on top of the cooler fins (bad planning i know) and yesterday i noticed that the fins were very hot. I can rule out lift pump cause it stalls on both veggie and diesel which each have their own lift pump. I get all the standard lights on my dash, except for the wait to start, so i don't think it is the ignition harness is the culprit. Both fuel filters are a few months old so i doubt that is it. I got a check enigne code, i think p0125 or some combo of those numbers (IP mettering code) in nov. once but never came up again and i have driven the truck a ton since then. There are no codes now. So I am thinking my PMD is probably out and I need to replace it and re-relocate it away fromt the coolant hose, or maybe the optical sensor is out? Thoughts? And where can you get an optical sensor, ive looked all over for them....

JohnC
03-11-2009, 13:47
Unplug the optical sensor and see if it'll start. If it does, the sensor's probably flakey.

Very hot fins on the heat sink are suspicious...

Kmehr
03-11-2009, 14:11
thanks for the input, where can i get an optical sensor if i determine its bad?
I am going to go ahead and order a new PMD as well. Also not really sure how to unplug the optical sensor, and how difficult is it to replace? i just joined the members are to get access to the articles but have not have access yet...

JohnC
03-11-2009, 14:30
Unplug the connector that comes out of the top rear of the injection pump.

Replacing the optical sensor is not for the faint of heart. One of our members documented the process at http://www.turbodiesel.no/

Kmehr
03-12-2009, 17:33
so i found the ECM fuse to be blown and replaced it. Truck started right up and ran well, stalled again but now runs and starts fine. Nothing i have done with the wiring has touched any ECM wiring, any thoughts? Do these things just go bad?