PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing exhaust!

Shaun091382
09-02-2003, 20:04
Hi i have a '93 Chev 3/4 regular cab 4x4 6.5td and i was looking at putting on a 4" exhaust and 3" downpipe now my question is i noticed that it is hard for any of my local shops to get a downpipe for my truck so i can buy that separately but i was wondering would it not be cheaper to go to a local shop and have them put on a pipe 4" or do i have to buy from places like BD and Kennedy etc etc..my local shops do not bend over 3" so maybe it is impossible for this to happen..my other question is since i do not have a catalytic converter on my truck i would simply put on a cat convertor replacement pipe but would this pipe be 3" connected to the downpipe or should it be 4" connected to the rest of the exhaust? thanks,

Shaun

Uncle Wally
09-02-2003, 23:07
Shaun,

Take a look at John Kennedy's exhaust system on his web site. I have it on my truck and love it. It's 3" out of the turbo down below the passenger seat. Increases to 3.5", through the muffler and out to the tailpipe. Sound is perfect as far as I'm concerned (mine's a touch quieter than yours would be as I have a CC - but it shouldn't be much quieter). It roars at full throttle, but is extremely tame everywhere else. You can here it will cruizin the highway, but it's not obnoxious at all. I had a 98 E/C Dually w/ a 454 that had dual glass packs that were mostly burnt out, and the diesel is quiter than the 454 truck.

As for performance, there is a difference ni stock form, but it's very minute. Mileage did increase a touch. It's a good starting point for other power adders in the future (Turbo and 300hp pump).

Install is something you can do by yourself in a couple of hours in your driveway. It took me an hour to do the whole thing and I had to torch off a couple of the u-bolts and bolts at the Cat Flange. Install was really quick. Just rough it all together. Make sure the down pipe isn't hitting the flange at the front of the cab floor, and tighten all the clamps up. Piece of cake!

Waldo

T.RAY
09-12-2003, 10:57
Uncle Wally - sounds like you left the CC on. Did you gut it, or cut it into Kennedys system per his instructions?

I have a 94 GMC 3500 and have not got around to installing the Kennedy exhaust, Water Pump upgrade and gauges yet.

Since I don't have cutting tools, modifying the existing CC woudl be difficult for me. I'm considering leaving it off altogether.

bdemille
09-12-2003, 13:47
I installed John Kennedy's exhaust a couple of months ago. Sounds much better than stock and I love hearing the turbo whistle. Pretty easy to install but realized that taking the o-flow tank and air box off made it a lot easier to get my big hands on that turbo-to- :cool: downpipe bolt.

Just ordered a performance chip today from JK so it should be fun to see some real performance improvements.

pgoldstein
09-12-2003, 19:45
Shaun,
I installed a Kennedy exhaust system in my 97 K3500 crew cab about a month ago. This system fit perfectly and sounds great. My truck seems to have much better power above 2500 rpm compared to the stock system with cat. Local laws require me to keep my cat so I opended it up, as shown on Kennedy Diesel's web sight, and welded it to the 3.5" pipe. If you try this be sure to open the 2.75" hole to 3.5" by removing all of the material at the top of the converter. I wound up having to cut the top inch off of mine to make it fit.
Good luck.

moedog
09-14-2003, 18:11
ADVANCED TURBO SYSTEMS MAKES A NICE 3INCH SYSTEM THATS REASONABLY PRICED. YOU DONT NEED A 4INCH ON A 6.5