PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head replacement

laggis
05-07-2004, 09:39
O.k. All you Guru's I'm A newbe to working on the 6.5. I have had my 1995 suburban since new. A few FSD problems and the usual pump mod's. But now I have cracked cylinder heads. I have stripped the whole compartment down to the block. Heads are off.

What do you all recommend for replacements? Rebuilt? IF so who's got good one's?
How good is the sleeving of the coolant passage if there are cracks anyway.

New?

When I replace the heads is there a difference in the overall height to the rockers. Is there somekind of adjustment I need to do? Or bolt up the rockers and go?

No gasket was on the exhaust manifolds, Do I need to put one on now?

No Valve cover gaskets either just some kind of RTV. Should I put gaskets or what type of RTV?

Thanks
Nick

RLAM
05-09-2004, 13:48
Nick:
I may,and I stress may,have a set of 96 heads.I recently replaced my 6.5 with a penn Diesel 18 to 1 engine and I think I can come up with my old heads. 18,000 miles on them and as far as I know, they are in good shape. I have know idea what new or reman heads are worth or for that matter, what mine are worth. I will check them out and if you are interested, you can make an offer. You pay freight.Permitec "gasket builder" it's red.

tom.mcinerney
05-10-2004, 20:47
Laggis
Suggest use 'search' (see above) this forum for 'heads'. '97-up better cooling flow. Best prolly late style with reman-valve seat install. Or go new fr Peninsular Engines - from factory current production. Rlam sounds a good deal. Price around, but if not buy new / get reman from a TDP vendor. The sleeving allows ops with fine cracks for quite a while [40K mi+]...without penetration to water jacket.

Wheat Whacker
05-11-2004, 17:22
I may also have a set of heads from a '97 or newer that I would be willing to part with.