PDA

View Full Version : tranny slipping, shifting irregularity

Locomoko
03-12-2009, 11:46
Hello All,

Thanks in advance to any suggestions on where to start in figuring why my shifting is messed up.

I recently finished the engine swap on my 1998 2500 Burb, many thanks to Jim and Robyn and others for their tech. Could not have done it without their help.:D

Back to the shifting problems... a short list follows.

A. Going from reverse to drive usually results with initial slipping then a forceful engaging of either second gear or first gear... can't really tell.:confused:

B. When coming to a stop, the transmission doesn't seem to know what to do, downshift or upshift, not every stop but enough to be troublesome.

C. When going from Drive to Reverse, the beast surges and puffs out soot.:eek:

BTW, the Burb sat idle for about 9 months while I looked for a replacement block.

Any and all suggestions will be entertained and appreciated.;)

Locomoko
03-18-2009, 17:18
OK... So I took it to the local repair shop for a transmission service, ie drain and refill w/new filter as well as inspect/adjust bands & servo's. This is what was found:

1. Nothing unusual for the 4L80 bullet proof tranny.

2. Adjusted Bands, R/R filter ($95) and complete ATF refill (20 Qts)

The Mech noted the main thing he has seen go wrong with this tranny is the servo's.

What did I get for $388.00. A transmission that shifts like it supposed to from the factory.

Thanks to all who looked. :)

Locomoko
03-24-2009, 15:35
OK, so I am backing out of NAPA and BAMMM! I lost reverse... :eek:

and to think I had it licked!

oh well, gonna get dirty again, only this time the tranny is coming out for a rebuild. :D