PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leakage at rail caps

chessy56
03-17-2009, 06:06
It appears as if I have some fuel leaking from around the pipes (steel lines) coming from my fuel rail, particularly on the right-hand side of the engine (left side appears to be dry). I smelll diesel and can see the moisture setting up on the manifold. The caps on the 4 rail ports appear to be tight. I may have to replace the seals on these lines. I see no leakage where the lines enter the injectors.

Is this a difficult task to perform? Do I need to remove the lines from both the rail as well as the injector in order to replace these seals? Is there a torque spec on the caps or do you just tighten them until they don't leak. Is there a seal only at the rail or at both rail and injector?

Just attempting to get an idea as to how much time I'll need to spend on this and what parts to order. Thanks for the help guys.

LB7 engine, 2001 K2500HD, 160K miles, original injectors.

Kennedy
03-17-2009, 06:24
The GM techs here can chime in with more experience, but I've never heard of one leaking like this. I will say that when you disturb the line at the injector (especially on a WI road salt baby) you will deposit a ton of rust and debris in the bowl of the injector inlet. You'll want to suck this out as best you can and even then, this can create issues as it's about inmpossible to keep it all out of the injector.

madmatt
03-17-2009, 17:28
If your talking about where the fuel lines come off the rail and go to the injectors,, there are no seals under those fittings. Just a tapered line end that seals against the taper in the fuel rail. You may have a cracked line or rail. I've seen rails crack but have yet to see a line crack that has never been off the engine.