PDA

View Full Version : Will good engine oil hurt DS4?

DennisG01
03-17-2009, 06:38
I thought this topic had been covered here, but either it hasn't or I am just awful at searching:rolleyes:

I have about 10 quarts of NEW 5W-30 laying around, but it's about 7 years old so I don't want to put it in my around-town-car (gasser). But, I also don't want to just throw it away (recycle).

Will it hurt the IP to mix it with the fuel? How much at a time? My Sub has the 42 gallon tank - can I put a full quart in with each fill-up?

I don't see how this would hurt, but I wanted check with some of you who have QUITE a bit more experience than me!

Robyn
03-17-2009, 07:27
Wont bother a thing.
Just add it in a quart or so per tank full and it will go right through and add a little lube along the way.

Best
Robyn

Burning Oil
03-18-2009, 21:42
I run veg oil and have the filtration equipment to do what Im going to suggest.
Seems like a waste to just burn unused oil maybe you could use it for a short time in your lawn mower or something. Filter it and then burn it?

DennisG01
03-19-2009, 05:27
I run veg oil and have the filtration equipment to do what Im going to suggest.
Seems like a waste to just burn unused oil maybe you could use it for a short time in your lawn mower or something. Filter it and then burn it?

That's a good idea. My whole reasoning for doing this was to not just dump it off at the recycling center. At least by pushing it through the 6.5 the oil would have done some good first.

The oil in my lawnmower always looks very good - never black - when I change it. But I'm sure having the oil look good isn't enough to be sure it doesn't have something in it that can damage the IP.

Knowing I'm only going to be doing a quart or two at a time, what would you suggest that I could use to filter it? Is there something laying around the house I could use? I wonder if oil would pass through coffee filters?

Burning Oil
03-19-2009, 07:34
You could use coffe filters. Stack a couple together and let it drip. That would catch alot of stuff, but Im not sure of the micron size, but It would be good to get the bigger stuff.
I use two whole house water filters. 5 micron. I forget the cost I think around $40 at Home depot.
Something else you could try. Add 100% diesel to your oil (1qt to 1qt or 1 gal to 1 gal.......) mix well to "losenen" up the oil. Then just let it sit for a couple weeks. I have done this with a big magnet in the bottom of the container.
All the hevy stuff will drop out, pour off the top and filter it. Then burn it.
It sounds like alot of work for 2-3 gal, but like I said I'm already set up for the process and would take me about 10 minutes of actual hands on time.

DennisG01
03-19-2009, 08:08
Thanks for the ideas! You're right, it may be more work than it's worth. I'll think about it for a bit - if I come up with something that'll only take a few minutes to set-up, I may give it a try.

JohnC
03-19-2009, 09:49
If it's new oil in sealed containers I don't see any reason not to just pour it in the tank. Add one quart every time you fill up and be done with it.

DennisG01
03-19-2009, 10:15
If it's new oil in sealed containers I don't see any reason not to just pour it in the tank. Add one quart every time you fill up and be done with it.

Absolutely agree. We had started to go a bit off topic, though, and talk about using the oil in a lawnmower, first - just to get some more use out of it.

I read all of your posts all the way through, John! :p:)

More Power
03-19-2009, 10:26
I think one of these (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=33613) would work well if attempting to recycle used engine oil. ;)

Jim

Burning Oil
03-19-2009, 10:27
Yep, I agree also. If your not set up to do some oil filtration it would not be worth it for that amount of oil, But if you are my point was it seems wasteful just to burn the oil before using it for another porpose first. IMO.