PDA

View Full Version : 97 making more noise I found the solution

balloonbld
03-17-2009, 16:20
My truck has 315k miles on it ( I'm the original owner ) and over the last year the truck had seemed to be making more noise than usual. When I was at highway speeds it sounded like I was not in over drive but in a lower gear but the rpm's were OK (at 60 mph about 2000 rpm's) So I didn't know what was wrong. Well after looking at a lot of posts in the forum I started thinking about my timing chain. It was the original one!!!! So I took it off (there was more than an 1" of play) and I also replaced the original water pump. After getting all of it back together the truck was so much quieter I hope my miles per gallon go back up too. My truck is really strange though because the parts that should last don't and the ones that shouldn't last do. I live in Albuquerque and on the list of things that haven't lasted are I've gone through 4 alternators, 4 sets of batteries. On the other hand my turbo lasted to 275k and the timing chain, water pump and pmd to 315k. My question is are there any other parts that I should replace?
Also In a lot of the posts when moderators make suggestions they say such and such a question has been asked and answered many times just search, but when I do a search I get a lot of the short threads. How do I find the long threads that really go into the solution. I really love it when I find one of those threads with a long detailed answers like I've found that Robyn does many times. I already have the 6.5 R&R book.

And also on a side note how can I change my log in name I didn't mean to put my email address there? I've tried to edit it but I haven't found where I can. Thanks for suffering through this post.

Warren96
04-12-2009, 12:56
I cant answer ALL of these questions, but the one thing I can answer because of hands on experiance is getting the timing set after changing the chain. It could be anywhere at this point, after changing the chain. If MPG's are your intrest ( because fuel prices will be going up again soon), set it to factory specs that way you can be sure you will get the most bang for your buck!

DaveBr
04-12-2009, 18:23
At highway speeds your engine noise could be from your clutch fan. If it stays engaged all the time it sounds like your engine is reving higher. They get old & worn out too.

More Power
04-13-2009, 13:21
And also on a side note how can I change my log in name I didn't mean to put my email address there? I've tried to edit it but I haven't found where I can.

Your login name has been shortened... ;)

Jim

balloonbld
04-13-2009, 13:46
Hi Jim'
Thank you for the help in fixing my log in name.
Joe

bmoeller
04-13-2009, 18:56
Could you do the same for me?

Thanks