PDA

View Full Version : gas to diesel conversion

chris's1993gmc
03-18-2009, 13:56
hey guys, im a 19 year old guy and i got a 1993 gmc sierra stepside. i love the truck too death its got a rockin 5.7 350 but unfortinately its just about at the end of its life and i wanna put a diesel engine in but i got a couple questions, what should i go for, a 6.2, 6.5 or a 6.6 so far im thinkin bout goin with the 6.6 with a 6 speed allison transmission but im not sure if ill have enough room in the engine bay, and theres all the normal issues of changing over, anybody got any ideas? i use it as a daily driver but am prolly gonna put a 6inch suspension lift on it in the fall and im getting the transfer case rebuilt too. anybody got any ideas?

trbankii
03-19-2009, 06:13
1993 was a crossover year - you could get either the 6.2 or 6.5 in them depending on model. So those would be your easiest conversion.

Best course of action is to get a complete donor vehicle so that you have all the components and such for the conversion.

Unless you can get an excellent deal on a donor vehicle, it will be a whole lot easier and typically less expensive to just trade the gasser for a diesel - unless the gasser has certain personal values to you or you specifically want something like a Duramax install in an older vehicle.