PDA

View Full Version : Best engine for me?

Logman
03-20-2009, 09:07
Hello all, I'm new to diesels and am looking to buy a truck. The truck will be a daily driver and would pull a camper or car trailer on some weekends. What is the best duramax engine to look for? I want something that is reliable something that is ok on gas mileage. Thank you for helping/educating a rookie.

christophersond
03-20-2009, 09:37
So far, I've owned trucks with the LB7, LBZ, and the LMM Duramax. All three trucks were 2500HD, Crew Cabs, with 4WD, and were used for towing a travel trailer or 5th wheel for weekend camping as well as some cross country trips. I was completely satisfied with all of them when referring to reliability, power, and mileage. If you've never driven/owned a Duramax powered truck, I believe you will be impressed. :)

More Power
03-20-2009, 09:55
Welcome to the board! Ordinarily, the best truck/engine is the one sitting in your driveway.

If you are a decent backyard mechanic, an older LB7 would be fine. On the other hand if you are not inclined or not equipped to do a majority of any vehicle service or maintenance, you should consider a newer truck that still has some warranty left - or buy an extended warranty. Engine & trans work can be expensive, especially if you're paying the going rate for labor. ;)

Jim

Runaway_Dmax
03-20-2009, 20:30
If I was in the market for a used gm diesel truck I would shy away from the one older than 2004 (LB7) because of injector issues. Costly repairs.

From mid 04 to mid 06 was the LLY engine that I have no experience with, though my uncle has one and has no complaints decent mileage.

Most of my neighbors have the LBZ engine mid 06 - mid 07 and they have no complaints some claim good mileage and others poor.

I currently own the newest version of the DMax engines (LMM) from mid 07 - current ( new body style) and have no major complaints other than it is an emission laden engine and you may suffer from poor fuel mileage. Mine is about the same as my LB7, 03 Dmax was.

If I was to buy a used DMAx I would try for a LBZ in an extended cab standard box 4x4. my needs have changed since my purchase ;)

But More Power is right, what ever you have in your driveway is the best Dmax there is.

Shed
03-25-2009, 15:39
I run an 01' now and it is my first diesel. I am very impressed with this truck, but I also enjoy tinkering with it and doing most of my own maint/service. My fear with this truck is the ever present injector problems.... I have had a couple of friends that have the 05' and they pull heavy and have had all kinds of problems with overheating (I hear the radiator/intercooler is smaller??). I my self will be eventually upgrading to an 06' So far this is my best bet without the new emissions systems crap..... Just my 2cents.